Chapter Three: Shallow

~~
~~~Rebecca~~~
~~

I thought there would be awkward silences between Cameron and I once he joined me in a booth with his Cookie's N Crème flavored shake but to my surprise he immediately kicked off our evening with a conversation about school stuff.

So far, we've talked about the classes we share, our opinions of the teachers, and our must-have meal during lunch which we agreed has to be the gloriously greasy pepperoni pizza with a side of curly fries. Talking with him has flowed so smoothly I almost forgot who I was talking to, a man-whore.

"Asking a complete stranger on a date seemed fairly easy for you," I point out when the topic of food seems to die off. 

His bright blue eyes flicker up to mine as he sips up the last gulp of his shake then he reclines in his seat with an arm draping over the back.

"Judging a complete stranger who helped you out seems fairly easy for you," he counters. 

True.

"Then why did you ask me out?" I wonder, knowing I would have just turned the other cheek. 

It's tempting to mention that he has never acknowledged my existence before and it's probably because he's a man-whore, but that would be judging him all over again. One of the reasons I even went along with this is to make up for the way I apparently offended him earlier.

"I don't like to be judged by strangers," he shrugs, "but I know with my reputation it's kind of hard to avoid so when you called me a man-whore I figured I could give you an opportunity to see me for how I really am."

"By talking about our classes? I don't think your method is very effective. Just because you can hold a conversation doesn't make you any less of a man-whore or change the fact that your friends are assholes," I accidentally blurt the end and quickly lift a hand to my mouth when it slips.

His jaw slightly drops but only for a moment before he lightly chuckles.

"Well, since we're being blunt you've got quite a way with words for a church girl. Are you the hypocritical type?" he wonders as he slides his empty cup to the edge of our table to make room for his arms. "The kind who judges but doesn't want to be judged? The kind who assumes the worst of others but ignores the worst in themselves?"

Frowning, I cross my arms over my chest ready to defend myself until I take a moment to digest his words. 

He's not wrong.

"How did you know I was a church girl?" 

As far as I know, he's never once stepped a foot through the doors.

"Cody mentioned it about you," he shares, and then rests his head on a wrist. 

I must have made quite an impression to become a subject of conversation.

Oh no, what if all the man-whores know that I call them man-whores now? I've basically put a target on my back. Tomorrow could very well be the end of me especially if they took offense to it like Cameron did.

"For someone who doesn't like to be judged, you haven't denied my accusation," I quirk a brow as I lift my straw to my lips to finish off my Chocolate shake.

His lips tug up in a smirk. "I mean I am a man-whore," he admits with a chuckle. "But there is more to me than just that."

That's debatable.

"Do share because you're coming into senior year being known more as a man-whore than anything else," I inform him. "I'm not trying to be mean but it's all anyone ever talks about when it comes to you and your friends. You guys sleep around and break hearts as if it's a game. It's not a secret and--"