Chapter Seventeen: Suspicious

Image: Patrick Coppola

[Warning: Self-Harm Content]

~~
~~Rebecca~~
~~

I survived.

That's all I can think about as I hang up my apron and head out to the dining area of the café.

Jack didn't turn my training into a living nightmare. In fact, I actually had fun-- not because he was necessarily kind but having the company of Cody and Patrick for the rest of the shift lightened the atmosphere.

"How do you feel?" Cody asks, grinning widely as I make my way over to their booth which is cluttered with contents from their backpacks. Inhaling a large breath, I puff my cheeks and thrust my hands into the air with both of my thumbs sticking up. Cody chuckles and stretches himself over the table, extending a high five to me while Patrick leans back in his seat with his arms braided over his chest.

I was so focused on my training I didn't even pay attention to how good they both look. Cody is wearing a plaid red and blue collared shirt under a jean jacket with a pair of dark blue jeans, a pair of converse, and a black beanie that makes his round, downturned eyes pop. Meanwhile, Patrick is sporting a plain, off-white sweatshirt under a black leather jacket with the hood up, a pair of black jeans, and white high-top vans. 

Despite being jocks, the man-whores have a sense of style. They don't usually wear their soccer jerseys unless it's the day of a game. Otherwise they each do their own thing. Although I have noticed Cameron and I both share a wardrobe heavy with Adidas apparel.  

"I sort of hoped to see Jack dump another drink on you," he shares, puckering his already plump lips as his eyebrows furrow in disappointment.

Well, at least he's honest.

Sighing, I simply shake my head and consider disregarding his comment until he pulls out a couple bucks from one pocket, releases a heavy sigh, then stuffs the bills into the opposite pocket.

Cody notices and we exchange confused glances before facing Patrick with quirked eyebrows.

"Why'd you do that?"

Straightening his posture, he roughly combs a hand through his already messy blonde hair as lips curve into a lopsided grin.

"Oh, when I said hoped I actually meant that I made a bet he would."

Wait, but--

"A bet with yourself?" I frown and when Cody chuckles, I flick him on his nose. 

"Yup," Patrick answers, turning to face forward in his seat. His shoulders slump as he rests his head on the inner side of a wrist and sips from a smoothie. "Now instead of buying a new soccer jersey, I have to spend the money on my next hookup," he murmurs. 

Man-whore.

From the disappointment in his tone, I can tell spending money on someone else isn't his preference which also means he wanted Jack to ruin my first shift. I was just beginning to think he was kind of nice. I should have known better.

"Sorry to disappoint," I grumble, frowning and turning on the heels of my feet in the direction of the door. I'm just about to walk off  when Cody launches a pen that ricochets off one of Patrick's biceps.