25. promises are just empty words

Venus looked through the peep hole and her heart sank deep in her chest. Corpse's figure was leaning into the door, a mask covering half of his face like always.

"What the fuck, Corpse?" She said as she opened the door.

He sighed and uncovered his face. He looked tired (he always did), but this time something was different. It almost seemed like he was in pain.

"What are you doing here?" She asked coldly even though she wanted to hug him.

"I'm in love with you. And-And I know maybe it's too late, but... I love you." His deep voice contrast against the words coming out of his mouth. "I realize... I realize I fucked up, and I'm sorry. But I'm here and- and I miss you so fucking much."

She bites her lower lip.

"You hurt me."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"I hate the power you have over me." She admits as she moves and lets him in. The hallway is tiny, so her face is at his chest. "I hate how you can come here, say a few sorry words and I'm once again at your feet." Venus puts a hand on his chest, right above his heart.

"I'm sorry." But he half-means it.

"This is not healthy." Venus whispers.

"It really isn't." His hands are already on her waist. "I'm not a healthy guy anyways, I'm dying, Vee."

"Till death do us part, then." Their lips graze each other.

"I know I said you deserve better, but I realize now, I'm selfish... And I want you."

She's the one that closes the distance, his lips are chapped and she wonders if he's been taking care of himself. Venus takes it further and pushes him to the wall, their tongues intertwining, breath's hitching and their chests burning from the lack of air. And then it's salty.

Corpse realizes she cries a lot.

So he kisses her tears aways as he walks them to a couch. She straddles him, and it's everything but sexual at that moment, face hidden in the crook of his neck and her shoulders shaking. His big hands are rubbing her back, trying to comfort her.

"I can't handle another heartbreak." Venus says in her soft broken voice.

"I won't break your heart." Again.

He then proceeds to hand her a plain silver ring, it almost looked like a wedding band, except it had the writing 'Solomon 3:4' in it.

"My mom gave it to me, it was my dad's... it's the only thing I have of him."

"What is it?" His cheeks burn red.

"It's a bible verse."

"I didn't know you were religious..." He cleans her tears with his thumbs and kisses her cheek before talking again.

"I'm not, but my dad was... is... I don't know." He sighed. "My name is biblical, actually... the Italian form of Matthew." She knew that already, the meaning behind his real name was something new though. "It goes like... uhm- 'I have found the one whom my soul loves' and it... it reminded me of you."

She stares at the ring with red puffy eyes.

"I can't go through this again." She says. Venus tries to give back the ring but Corpse puts it on her finger instead. "You can't... you can't do this to me again."

"I won't. I promise."

"Promises are just empty words." Even though her words stung, he still kissed her back when she leaned in for a kiss.