31. you and me against the world

INCOMING CALL...
corpse
ACCEPT DECLINE

"Did you locked your door?" Was the first thing he asked.

"Yes."

"Baby why didn't you tell me sooner?" She hears his voice kind of distant and that's how she knows he's already driving.

"I don't know. I didn't know what to do so I just... froze." She sighs. "I was scared shitless for myself and felt guilty because he knows your face."

"I care about you more than I do about myself." Corpse says. "I'm also so fucking mad at you but that's... that's not important right now."

"I'm-"

INCOMING CALL...
unknown
PAUSE & ACCEPT DECLINE

"Hold on."

INCOMING CALL...
unknown
PAUSE & ACCEPT DECLINE

"Hello?"

"Did you get my present?"

"Fuck off."

"I'll take that as a yes." He laughs.

"Don't fucking call me again!"

"You can't escape me, sweetheart." The pet name made her heart ache, she used to love it... but now it just sounded bitter. "We're meant for each other, you and me against the world remember?" Venus could almost picture him smiling on the other line of the call

A scene played in her head.

John was standing in front of her, loving eyes, reassuring smile with his hand on her cheek, caressing the red mark he'd just stricken across her face. She felt his thumb wipe the tiny bit of drop he'd cause to stain her pale skin.

"Don't listen to them, they want to break us apart. But I love you, okay?" He kissed her, gently this time. "It's us against them." Then his hands started to roam down her body. His kisses also started to trail down her jaw and neck. "They won't break us apart."

A tear rolled down her cheek, the memory painfully flashing on her mind.

"It's not. It's me against you." With that she hung up and the call returned to Corpse.

"Venus? What happened?"

"I'll tell you when you get here."

"Fuck." He muttered under his breath. "Was that him?" She didn't respond. "I'm going to-

"No, you're not going to do anything. You'll get here safely and that's it. Did you hear me? You're not doing anything."

"But..."

"We can't do anything, or the case will get dismissed. Just... focus on driving, okay?" Venus drowned a sob. "Let's talk about something else."