𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

HAZEL POV
I waited anxiously for Y/N to respond to my text message. I texted her to tell her I figured out exactly what had been going on, from Karl accusing her that she cheated, to him "telling" everyone that she had and costing her her job.

Now I waited, praying she'd respond. My phone is pinged at that moment, and I eagerly checked it. But, instead of it being a text from Y/N, it was from my brother.

Hazel! I saw you texted Y/N that you "figured out who told Karl you cheated and told the fans". What are you doing?!

I stared at the text, guessing Shane was with her and snooped at her texts. At that moment, given everything that happened, I felt a sort of anger and disappointment at my brother that I never knew was possible. I texted him back.

I can't BELIEVE you! You made it all up! You lied to Y/N AND Karl and ruined their relationship and her job! What the hell are you doing?

He read my text instantly and I watched as the typing bubble came up for a good two minutes.

Hazel, I don't care that you're my sister. If you value YOUR job, you will delete that text to Y/N right now and not speak another word about this to anyone. If you tell her it'll cost me my job and my relationship with Y/N. She belongs to ME!

As I stared at the message on my phone, I found it hard to believe I was even talking to my brother. I was disgusted by this, I couldn't believe that someone I'd grown up with my whole life could turn into such a self-centered and cold hearted jerk.

But I couldn't loose my job. If Shane had managed to get Y/N fired, I knew he'd get me fired too. I couldn't risk it. I needed the job, and I didn't want to leave the team. I thought about all my friends, and the people I cared about. I knew I couldn't loose them all over my brother's selfishness.

Y/N POV
I walked back into the room to see Shane on his phone, looking angry. He looked up when I entered, and his eyes widened.

I was wearing a tank top with torn jeans, and the necklace he'd gotten for me.
"You look great." He said softly as I sat down on the bed. I smiled. "Thanks," I said. "I'm glad you like it."

He smirked, before turning back to his phone. I took that moment to check my own phone. At first, I didn't see it where I'd left it, but as I picked it up from a different spot, I guessed it just got moved when I sat down.

I saw Hazel had texted me.

Y/N! I figured out who told Karl you cheated and told the fans!

I blinked. I didn't expect Hazel to have found out anything about what had happened between me and Karl. I was pretty sure Chandler and Shane were the only two members of the crew who were still on good terms with me.

Who was it?! I asked eagerly.

There was quite a long pause before the typing bubble came up. It disappeared and reappeared a couple times, and I waited, curious what Hazel was gonna say.

Finally, a message popped up. I was surprised as I read what she said.

Nevermind. False alarm. Thought I had something.

I sighed. I really wanted to get to the bottom of this. Slowly I was starting to think that Karl was just an insecure liar who made stuff up, but I still wanted to figure out who had lied about me cheating.

HAZEL POV
I slammed my phone on my nightstand in anger. I couldn't believe my brother. He was a jerk. I took my phone again to reread the last text he'd sent me.

Hazel. If you tell Y/N anything, I will tell every one of the members, including Tareq, that you had plans of ridding her from the team and lied about everything so you could get to Karl. You'll surely be fired then, and I don't think Tareq will like you so much after that.

I hadn't even responded. I couldn't find the words. I felt anger like I didn't know was possible.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Hunter started barking down stairs, and I headed down, wondering who could be there. I knew it obviously wasn't Shane, and I didn't know who else would come over.

I opened the door, to see Tareq at the doorstep, holding a Starbucks pink drink, which was my favourite.
"I know it's a bit short notice," he said when I opened the door. "But I figured out in passing that you lived here and thought I'd get you this."

Immediately, I felt all my anger drain away as I blushed and smiled, taking the drink. As I glanced him over, I saw he was wearing a blue kawaii Beast hoodie, pale blue jeans, and a auburn red Beast beanie.

I sipped the drink with a smile as I invited him inside and closed the door. Hunter came over to greet Tareq, and gave a muffled wuff as the taller boy pet the dog's golden ears.

"He likes you." I remarked as I watched Hunter's tail wagging vigorously.
"Good thing," Tareq said as he turned back to me. "I'd hate if he chased me out."

I giggled as I led the way upstairs to my room.
"Sorry about the mess." I murmured as I cast a disdainful look over the clutter in my room.

"Oh don't worry," Tareq assured as we settled on my bed. "Mine's worse, trust me."

I smirked as I glanced at my phone sitting on my nightstand. I noticed Shane had texted me back.

Good girl. You're safe for now.

Once again I was reminded of my brother's terrible acts, and I frowned. Tareq must've noticed, because he spoke.
"You alright?"

I nodded, tucking my phone under my pillow. "I'm fine."

But Tareq didn't look convinced. He gazed at me for a while. I glanced back, and saw the soft concern in his brown eyes. I looked away.

"Hazel, you can tell me if something's wrong, you know that right?"

I felt a pang in my heart. I really wanted to tell him everything, but I knew that if I did, I'd get myself, and probably Tareq into trouble.

Instead, I settled with something else.

"Tareq, did you ever know someone who lied to others, and made up stories, for their own good?"

The tall boy blinked, obviously a bit surprised by my question. He seemed to think for a moment before nodding slowly.
"Once. They were really bad. Got a lot of people in trouble for things they didn't do. Why?"

I shrugged. "Just wondering. Did it ever come to light?"

Tareq nodded again. "Yeah. A friend and I discovered the truth that this kid was making it all up and told the people who could get rid of him."

I sipped my drink thoughtfully. "And did the guy that was lying... Did he ever threaten you and your friend for telling the truth?"

Tareq nodded for the third time. "Oh yes. He threatened to tell everyone that it was us that were doing the lying, to get us in trouble."

"And what did you do?"

He shrugged slightly. "We brought his lies to light anyways. We weren't going to let that kid control our lives, especially since we knew that we were right. In the end, the kid got kicked from the group and we were actually given good praise for bringing it to light."

I nodded slowly as he went on.

"I believe in two things. First, that whatever happens in the dark, always comes to light, and that doing the right thing is always worth the risks."

I blinked. Those last words resonated in me. I knew now what I needed to know. With new found confidence and motivation I knew I would not stop until justice was served, and my brother's lies were brought to light.

A/N: AHH, so sorry I didn't update yesterday!! I gave you a longer chapter this time to make up for it. 🥺

I hope you enjoyed this! Anticipate chapter nine!

Remember to smile because smiles are the brightest light! \ (^-^) /