Second chance

TulHin y'all

Hin POV
Do you ever look at someone and wonder what's going on in their head?
I do. I have been doing that for an hour now. I have been staring at Tul Medthanan who is on my set casually eating a burrito.

It's been three weeks since I started working here now and my probation period was declared over earlier than usual surprising a lot of people in the company. I tried arguing with Tul that I don't need his mercy and he smiled saying "You don't but I need yours." Sometimes, I feel that my mouth is useless.

As much as I tried to brush Tul's consistent show of 'affection' towards me as a small favour, people caught up to the fact that Tul has a bias for me pretty soon. Why wouldn't they when he shows on my set every day, insists I have lunch with him and forgives me immediately if something goes wrong?

And it's not me who is being subjected to this immense 'kindness'. Charles and Katrina have been gushing about how nice he is being to everyone compared to before when he was ready to bite people's heads off whenever he came to visit. Speaking of Katrina, she cornered me on Tul's third day here and squeezed our story out of me.

Well, she didn't necessarily force me. She just sat there giving me puppy eyes till I gave in. When I told her what happened all those years ago she was angry at first fuming about how rich people are fucking idiots.

Then she looked at me in the eye and asked me if I still have feelings for him. That caught me off-guard mainly because I immediately thought of saying yes.

It got me thinking if I have any self-esteem. Because if I was still fawning for a man who left me for a rich girl after using me, it's very clear that I don't think I mean anything. Katrina seemed to understand my trauma and immediately hugged me.

"It's okay. Love is like that. It's fucking weird and unreasonable." Kat had said still holding me tightly.
"But what if it's an obsession? I haven't been able to date anyone because of him. I feel like I am cheating on him when he literally has a kid with someone else. I hate myself for being so weak." I felt my voice cracking.

"Oh baby, you were enough to leave and stay away. He is the one that came barging into your life and I don't know if it's because he wants to apologise or win you back." I had laughed at that.

"No Hin, I am serious. I have seen the way he looks at you. With so much longing and fond, like you being there is all that he ever wanted. But he did you wrong and he is still married. You guys are in a professional setting so you can't avoid each other forever. Just do you and think of everything if something happens." Katrina had advised.

And now looking at Tul I can't help but notice how happy he looks compared to when I first saw him. Is it really because of me? Does he not like his wife?  If not then why are they still married? Is it for their son?

My mother told me that his son is adorable. She had visited him without telling me and had even informed Tul I was in Europe. But he never came searching for me. When Tul named his son PhuPha, he told my mom he named his son after me. My name means rocks or land and his son's name means mountain. My mom thought he did it for friendship. I didn't know what to think.

"Hin, your lunch." Tul hands me a burrito. I jumped cause I didn't notice him coming towards me and he laughs at that.
"Sorry didn't know burritos scare you so much."

"It's not the burritos," I mumble taking it from his hand.
His face suddenly morphs into sadness.
"It's me, isn't it? I scare you."
I don't respond to that and nibble on my burrito.

"That's okay." Til suddenly speaks after being silent for minutes." I'll make you fall in love again." And I just stare at him with wide eyes.
"Tul, you are married." I remind him.

"Only on paper." He shrugs.
"That's what marriage is."
"Well, don't worry about it. The day my legal wife decides to marry her long term boyfriend even that paper will be scraped off." He responds with a smile.

I stop eating my burrito and look at him.
"Wait she is dating someone?"

"Yes, well even Tin is dating someone I think. I am the only miserable one in that household. Wanna make me lucky again?" He winks at me.
"You have started to scare me with the way you talk," I reply knowing very well that I am blushing.

"I have realised what I lost. I'll make it right Hin. Please give me a chance." Tul stared at me and I could see his eyes getting cloudy. His eyes, remind me of the sky. Infinite and beautiful.

"Tul, please don't do this to me. I gave my everything to you and you just discarded it like garbage. I can't lose my sanity as well." I say looking away from his face before I melt because of his eyes.

He sighs deeply.
"You know when my grandmother died and ejected me off her will, I said everyone in my house hates me and one day I'll make them pay for what they did to me. And you said I don't need to be in someone's will to get rich, I could that all by myself perfectly fine. Even before you said that I always thought money and name would be enough, I would get what I wanted if I have that. That's what I kept telling myself when I got Tin into that drug case, that's what I told myself when I married Wadee. Hell, even when you ran away, I thought when I earn enough I'll drag you back to me. But as my bank balance started blowing I realised it's not money that made me fight against everything, it's you. Every time I saw a future with me being in charge of everything you were always there with me. I was so used to your affection that I didn't notice its importance until it was gone. And I know this is the closest I'd ever get to winning it back and I won't let go this time. I don't love my wife. I am not afraid of my parents or of losing my name. I know my son would love you. I know he would understand. And even if everyone doesn't go the way I want I am ready to take a chance. Not at you, at my life."

With that, he just left leaving me and my half-eaten burrito.

Sorry for not uploading sooner. How is the story going? Do you understand Tul and sympathise with him or think its just a load of bull?