| 50 : Atone Through Love |

"There's no saying no when it comes to a man as obsessed as you are." I speak with the most composure I can put together.

The bouquet of flowers so easily fell into my hand and Rowan is proposing. Oh how well their plan went.

"Is that a yes then?" He smirks.

I'm nervous, but in this crowd I want to look calm. Yet I know my heart is rejoicing. Despite all the things and times I've said in the past about not wanting to marry, after everything the Prince and I went through together I know I wouldn't want to see him with anyone else.

"Yeah, it's a yes." I reply softly.

Even with all the cheering around us, it feels like everyone's presence has disappeared and it was just me and Rowan. Sorry for taking the spotlight Adria!

He slips a dazzling ring through my finger and stands up, pulling me into his arms. A warm embrace that comforts my surprised nerves.

"I hope this sudden proposal of mine didn't pressure you." He spoke with a hushed voice.

"You've pulled a lot of crazy stunts and that started the moment you had me start living in the castle. This is nothing."

"Haha, my apologies."

"It's too late for apologies! Anyways you can let go of me now." We break from our embrace, the crowd still staring in awe.

And so was Adria doing a little happy dance while mouthing the word 'congratulations.'

"Shall we move on to the food and celebration now?" She says with delight and all react positively.

All the excitement has made me hungry.

After a few moments of preparation, everyone directs their attention to the 10 tier wedding cake being sliced by the hasty bride and her gentle groom. On the same table were other desserts but that isn't what I'm looking for.

"There's no need for you to worry Riselle, I have made steak and other meals to be served to the guests."

Am I that obvious?

I turn to Kace apprehensively.

"And congratulations on your engagement with the prince. I'm jealous."

And he says that so apathetically.

"Riiiight... I would've been extremely distressed if there was no meat on the table." I respond with sarcasm. It's the most I can do when talking to a guy whose words don't match his facial expression.

"Mhm." He continues to smile.

Sigh

Waiting for the cake to be sliced and enjoyed felt so awfully long. I dearly hope that one awkward conversation with Kace is all I have to suffer.

"Riselle?"

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no.

"Lucia..." I don't even try to hide the vexation I recieved upon being approached by her of all people. Is she really going to cause a scene now? I can't just let her ruin Adria's wedding.

"Con...con-"

"Con?"

"Congratulations on your engage- engagement! With the prince." She stuttered along the way.

"Oh."

To think she would congratulate me. Although she was having a hard time with it. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." Lucia gave me the tiniest, most forced looking smile my eyes have ever bared witness to. But it looks like she's trying. Did she have a redemption arc or something?

She left thereafter, and then it was just me being congratulated by a few other guests. Too many to name.

Even after the cake has been sliced and we all moved onto eating, one by one they came up congratulating me and the prince, as well as Adria and Dante. Until the wedding celebration has ended and most guests left only then I'm able to speak to my bestfriend.

"Riselleeee! Look whose getting married after claiming multiple times she was musicsexual?" Adria snickers.

"Aaahahaa yeah. I'm a hypocrite I know." I roll my eyes.

"Hehe, you aren't happy?"

"Of course I am." Even if my face is doing it's best to look annoyed. "Anyway my engagement aside, did you enjoy your wedding?"

"Heck yes! I didn't think you could write something so beautiful after seeing how hard you were struggling to even start! I knew you had it in you!"

"And I didn't think you'd be able to give such a heartfelt message to everyone. I seriously thought you were going to laugh."

The two of us paused to look at each other, and we burst out laughing.

This'll be our last big laugh with each other for a while now huh.

"Dante better be making you laugh like this too or I'll come drag you back to the castle." I joke.

"Oh no worries! He makes great jokes, he's just shy around others."

I look to Dante and he nods. Oh well, as long as she's happy with him.

---

I return to the castle and now humbly stand by my bed in my room with Rowan who was tagging along having something left to tell me.

I almost feel too tired to even listen to what he has to say. My eyes are heavy, my stomach feels bloated from all the food...

"Riselle, please stay awake for a little bit longer." His hand squeezes my cheeks and shakes my face.

"I'll do my best."

"Ok uh... Uhm where do I begin." He suddenly looks to be at a loss of words. "I'm really happy that you accepted my proposal."

"And I'm happy you proposed."

"Really?"

The prince looked shocked, his cheeks growing red and so were his hands growing warmer. His hands that delicately held onto mine.

"I just wanted to tell you that after all the times I've almost lost you, acted stupid towards you, I feel like I'm dreaming when I get to hold you in my arms. I've loved you for so so long.

When you lost your memories back then, I was devastated. I felt like I could murder everyone in the kingdom to find you. Of course I wouldn't actually do that, I don't think that would've made you very happy. But you know, I want you enough to leave behind my nobility.

And I was glad to have spoken to you at the royal ball. And to have you back at the castle once again. I said many foolish things, scared that maybe you'd really never fall in love with me again. My heart was breaking speaking to you with all our memories as kids that you couldn't remember even if you wanted to.

But I couldn't just give up and watch you leave, or fall in love with someone else. In the end you're in love with me again, I'm happy."

"Rowan..." He has me at a loss of words. The tears that streamed down my cheek spoke for me instead. All I could do was wrap my shaky arms around his body and cry. I've cried enough today!

"I always thought I was the one suffering, I was always complaining! You were never horrible but I always subconsciously had it in my mind that you were. And I've hurt you! I've selfishly wanted you! I almost never considered how you've felt but you still done so much for me, and continued to love me all this time."

"You don't have anything to blame yourself for, but if you feel guilty then you can atone for that by loving me unconditionally." Rowan held me while I cried, patting my head.

"I will... I love you and I will continue loving you always Rowan."

- E N D -