Leaving Evergreen

1 Year Ago

   " Y/n, are you ready to go? " Bruno asked turning to look at you.

   " Give me a moment and I'll be done! "

You finished tapping the last box in your dorm room, and you set it with the other boxes. Another college year had been swept away by time and now it was summer. You had one more college year to go before getting your bachelor's degree. Originally you planned to go for your associates but you decided to stay for a bachelor's. But now it was summer and Bruno was helping you move all of your stuff out of your dorm room and help drive you back to Linden. 

   " Think you'll miss Gillins here in Evergreen? "

   " I'll only be gone for two months. I've got to come back to finish up my last year. It's not like I'll be gone for a long time. "

   " Yeah, but every time I help you move out for the summer I always realize how long you've been gone. "

   " Awww, is someone getting lonely without me in Linden? "

   " Yes actually, I am getting very lonely. Our everyday calls can only do so much. It's different when you're in person and when you are on the phone. "

   " Well, let's get these boxes in your car and then we can get back. These are the last of the boxes too, so I don't have to be back until my last semester in the fall starts. "

   " I agree. "

Bruno picked up two boxes and set them on a two-wheeler. You grabbed one and set it on top of the two he put on there. You were going to push the two-wheeler while Bruno picked up the last box. Bruno moved to the door and opened it letting you walk out first with the most boxes. You walked out of the room with the two-wheeler behind you and you waited on Bruno to walk out of the room. Once he was out of the room you led him to the elevator and clicked the button to call the elevator to your floor.  Bruno waited with you until the elevator came. He put his hand in front of the door to make sure you got in with no trouble from the door. He stepped inside and clicked the button for the bottom floor. The elevator music played and it was the regular cheesy music you would hear in a hotel.

   " The music is something I won't miss. It's so bad and it makes me think I'm in a horror movie. "

   " Why a horror movie? "

   " Oh my dear friend, you haven't watched any recent horror movies have you? "

   " No, I haven't. I've been working a lot and putting my head into my work more than usual. "

   " Why? Is something happening? "

   " Nothing major, we just have the higherups looking at us to see how we're doing and if there is anyone they want to transfer to a higher office. "

   " So, possibly a raise? "

   " Possibly, but I don't know. It depends on how everything goes these next couple of months and how they perceive us. "

We walked out of the elevator and I stepped up to the front desk to turn in my dorm room key. I looked at my friend Maria with a  smile but she took a sip of coffee before looking up at me from her computer.

   " Maria Porter are you drinking a cup of coffee at five in the afternoon? "

   " Yes, Y/n, I am. This is my fifth cup today. " She said unsure.

   " Maria! You don't need to be drinking so much coffee! You're going to get heartburn. "

   " I have medicine to take in case I have heartburn. I'll be fine. "

   " That's like saying, 'I have bandages, so when I stab myself in the throat, I'll be fine. ' "

   " Se la vie. I'll take your key and you'll be good to go. "

   " Thanks, Maria. Don't work yourself to death over the summer. I know being a CA is hard. "

   " The hours are ridiculous but I think I'll live. "

I tossed my key at her and she caught it with one hand. I waved at her and turned back towards Bruno and the two-wheeler. I smiled at him as I kicked the pole of the two-wheeler and caught the handle.

   " Let's go. "

Bruno nodded and ran to the door before I could reach it. He opened it and waited for me to walk out before coming behind me. His car was parked in front of the dorm room building so we didn't have to walk far. He unlocked the car and opened the trunk. He set his box down inside the trunk and then took one of the big boxes and put it inside. He closed the trunk and opened the back door. He put the last boxes on the seats and then he picked up the two-wheeler and set it sideways on the floor. I walked over to the passenger's side and got in the car. Bruno got in the driver's side and started the car. He pulled out of the spot in front of the university dorms and we started driving to Linden.