Bruno's Work

" Hey, Bruno I need you to sign these papers. " A man said, setting a stack of papers on Bruno's desk.

Bruno looked up from his computer, and he looked at the stack of papers that the man stepped on the desk. The man tried to leave, but Bruno called out to him.

   " Jin! Where are you going? You need to stay here so we can go over these papers. " Bruno said, looking at the name tag on the man's shirt.

   " You don't need me to help. Just sign them. "

   " I'm not going to just sign the papers, Jin. We need to go over them and see if procedures were followed, the date at which everything happened, and-"

   " Or you could just sign them and say everything was followed. "

Bruno sighed and stood up from his desk. He put his hand on the stack of papers and glared at Jin.

   " Then I'm not going to sign them. "

   " Why? Just sign the damn papers-"

   " Jin I am not going to tell you again! I will not sign any of these papers unless we go over them together and confirm everything. "

   " Why won't you just sign them!? " Jin yelled, slamming his hands on the desk inside of Bruno's office.

   " Because that's not my job! My job is to inspect and review cases; signing off on them when the procedures are followed, the date is valid, and the information is updated as followed. If I just signed off on papers without reviewing them then I would be failing at my job because that's not what I was hired for! If anything it's your fault for not giving me these earlier, because this looks like an old case because the file is worn down a little. You should have brought me this case when it happened and everything would have already been done. But you waited until now to do it and you expect me to be kind about it? I'm not going to be tolerant of this! So, either sit down and review the files and confirm everything or walk out of here and I won't sign anything and bring this to our boss and tell him that you wouldn't cooperate. Take your pick. "

Jin stood in front of Bruno's desk, completely awestruck by what Bruno told him. Jin pulled his hands off the desk and smirked at Bruno. He raised his hands and clapped. Bruno didn't understand what was happening until Jin stopped and took a seat in front of Bruno's desk.

   " Bruno Tate, do you know who I am? 

   " Someone from the state I'm guessing? I didn't recognize your name when you came in here and I saw that you had those files. "

   " You're very observant, Mr. Tate. I tried to play it off like one of your co-workers. Was there anything else that gave me away? "

   " The way you showed up in my office. You walked in like you didn't care and were lazy. But if you'll notice most of my co-workers are running around frantically and pretending to be formal with everyone. So, when you came in here without a care in the world I felt like you weren't a coworker of mine, because most of them are rushing around to get everything  done and checked when they should have done it earlier. "

   " Wow, you are quite impressive Mr. Tate. "

   " Please, call me Burno. Someone saying Mr. Tate makes me feel old. "

   " I understand that. That's why I put Jin on my tag and I didn't put my last name on it. "

   " Smart. "

   " You're smarter. That was very impressive. I'm glad to see someone around here stand up for their job and it seems like you know the job well and take it seriously. "

   " I do. I'm making this job my career and I should work hard at my job. Unlike the others. "

   " I see that. The others I've pressured have fallen under that pressure and it doesn't impress me. "

   " What do you expect? When the state comes to possibly fill a position among them or promote someone, everyone puts on a facade. One that tries to hide the laziness they have for this work force. "

   " But not you? "

   " Not me. I take my job seriously. Of course there are happy moments like birthdays in the office, coffee talk with some of my friends here in the morning. It's not all bad. "

   " Well, I'm glad to hear that. I'll take my leave then so you can get back to work. "

Jin stood up from the chair and headed to the door. Bruno looked between Jin and the stack of papers on his desk. Jin caught his eyes and laughed a bit.

   " Oh, yeah. Don't worry about those papers. They've already been filed and sign for a long time ago. I just needed a file to try and convince you that I need you to sign them. "

   " How can I believe you after that act? "

   " Take a look. "

Bruno reached for the file and started looking through it. All the papers had been signed for, but Bruno could spot some spots where the signatures were missing. Jin leaned over Bruno's desk and watched Bruno flip through the papers. He spotted the mistakes in the file and expected Bruno to spot them as well.

   " These are not all signed for. "

   " Who was the officer over the case? " Jin asked.

   " Officer Pulaski. He's older now and he wouldn't mind looking over these with me and filling in the blanks. Since most of this is signed for then we shouldn't have to update the information. "

   " I'll take it to him. Don't worry about taking it to him. "

   " I can't let you do that. I need to take it and witness him signing the papers. "

   " Bruno, trust me. I will watch him sign the papers and you will find them back on your desk by the end of the day. You've impressed me today, so see this as a reward. "

Jin took the files without Bruno replying back. Jin saluted Bruno before walking out of his office and through the office to find Officer Pulaski. Bruno shook his head and settled into his desk chair. He turned back towards his computer, looking over the report he needed to finish. The report was simple and boring, which is why Bruno was taking the report slow because it wasn't interesting. He would get it done before lunch, but it might put him to sleep. His phone started to vibrate on his desk, and he couldn't recognize the caller. He picked up his phone and answered the call.

   " Hello? "

   " Is this Bruno Tate? "

   " It is. Who is this? "

   " Maria Porter. I'm Y/n's best friend. "

   " I remember you. How are things at the university? "

   " As food as they can be during summer break. "

   " Is there a reason you called? "

   " Yes, I just called Y/n and she seemed stressed. "

   " Stressed? Did she tell you about her dream? "

   " No, but she told me it was bad. Look just before you go home, go to the store and buy some stuff to calm her down and get her to relax. She needs some rest and relaxation. "

   " Could you tell me specifically what I need to get her? I don't really know about these kinds of things. "

   " Trust me, you stay focused on your cases and murders while I take care of the beauty products. "

Maria hung up the phone, and Bruno set his phone down on his desk. He typed up the rest of the report and started researching how to make someone relax.