Back to the Present

Present Time

   " I'm sorry sir, but I'm not sure we can keep her on line much longer. "

   " What do you mean? I don't understand. " Bruno said.

Bruno's hands tightened around the gloves he held in his hands, and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He stood at the front desk talking to the receptionist at the hospital, but he wasn't expecting the woman at the desk to tell him the new information about your condition. 

   " The hospital's doctors have agreed that it is time to pull Ms. Y/n's life support. It's become recent that her body is only able to survive off of what we provide her. Of course, we are not talking about food and water, we are talking about everything else the hospital is providing her. The doctors yesterday, took off her breathing mask that is connected to the ventilator to see if she was breathing on her own. It was just a test to see how her condition was doing. However, her breathing was irregular. It was shallow and thin and we had to put the mask back on. It's very costly to keep her on life support and the doctors have decided it's time to take her off. "

   " Why now? After an entire year, why did they decide to do it now? "

   " Before her lungs and system were working on their own. However, now they have slowly stopped. Her breathing is dependent on our life support. Her lungs are failing, Mr. Tate. "

   " . . .When are you taking her off? "

   " Since it was decided yesterday and you were informed today, one week. This way you may inform her family and friends that she is being taken off of life support and they can come visit her before we pull the plug. "

   " Thanks. "

Bruno walked away from the receptionist's desk and went to the elevator to get to your room. He entered your room and walked inside. He was still furious about what the receptionist said, and he sat down beside your bed. He took your hand and held it.

   " Hey, Y/n. I have some. . .bad news. They're taking you off the line. That means they won't be supporting you anymore. They said your lungs are failing slowly and that in a week they're going to take you off of life support. Whatever you're doing Y/n. You need to do it quickly. "

Bruno stayed there for a long time before leaving and going home, to an apartment. He unlocked his door and walked into his suite. His dog Bingo, a german shepherd, jumped off the couch and ran towards him. Bruno smiled at his dog and crouched on the floor. He held his arms open and Bingo jumped into his arms. 

   " Hey, boy. How was your day? "

Bruno petted his dog and loved him before he stood up from the floor. He walked to the couch and sat down with Bingo. He thought about who he would call first, and he dialed Maria's number. 

   " Hello? "

   " Hey, Maria. "

   " Hi, Bruno! How's everything going? "

   " Not good, Maria. I went to the hospital today and they told me that in a week they're going to take Y/n off of life support. "

   " What!? "

   " Why? "

   " Her lungs are slowly failing. They tested to see if she could breathe without the ventilator and they said her breathing was thin and shallow. They also said it's costly as well, to keep her on life support. "

   " But it's been a year. "

   " I know, and they said her lungs had started failing recently. But at the end of the week, they're taking her off. "

   "  Bruno, I'm so sorry. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. "

   " Actually, there is something you can do. "

   " Tell me. I'll do whatever you need me to do. "