chapter seventeen

jada's pov

"it's cold out," i complain to billie while we walk around outside. we both got bored of skating so we decide to go home. but before she said she needed to go somewhere so i just followed her.

"here," billie takes her jacket off, then proceeds to put it around my shoulders.

"thank you." i smile. for a second i think about kissing billie, but i stop cause for whatever reason right now doesn't feel like the right time. all night i've had a horrible gut feeling so honestly as soon as billie says she wants to go home, i'm going home too right then and there. it feels wrong to leave her here alone so i'm just waiting for her to be ready to leave.

"what'd you think of kobe?" she asks.

"i like him, he's nice and funny, and he's kinda cute." i shrug.

"yo.. first of all, that's my best friend, second of all, what about me?" she scoffs.

"calm down bil, i was joking." i shake my head with a laugh. "he's cute, but you're way cuter." i reassure her.

"yeah i better be." she says, rolling her eyes.

"before we go home i wanna go to the corner store, okay? i just have to get some stuff but we'll just walk since it's only a few blocks away." billie tells me.

"walk? but it's pitch black out, it's kinda cold, and i don't think walking around at night in this area is a good idea." i say hesitantly.

"we'll be fine, don't worry." she reassures. that should make me feel better but for some reason it sends a shiver down my spine.

"i don't know if i've ever said this, but thank you for when you've helped me with kace. it means a lot to me." i thank her aster a brief moment of silence.

"yeah don't mention it." she nods.

i know that billie likes her accomplishments and good deeds to be acknowledged even though she'll never say that. so i try to do that for her whenever i can.

right now, i don't really know what billie and i are. but whatever we are, it feels good and it feels right. well, most of the times. sometimes it feels bad, like whenever either one of us says we're just friends. but the no label shit has really been good for me and i think it's been good for billie too. with no label, you're not worried or nervous or anything like that. you're just free, but still have a good connection. do we have shit to work on? for sure. but hopefully we'll get that squared away.

billie aimlessly rants about dumb shit, like the office and then her absolute love for taco bell, but all i can do is focus on the constant feeling that someone is just watching me. or us. almost as if i can hear a car. i don't know, i know it's in my head but i hate feeling like this.

"can we go back?" i ask with a sigh.

"no we're almost there." billie yawns. i know she's tired too but i can see the store at the end of the street so we keep on walking and within five minutes we're walking inside of the store.

"hey billie! long time no see." the man behind the counter greets her with a welcoming smile once we step inside.

"yeah, i've been busy." billie shrugs him off before walking down the isles and i continue to follow her.