STORY 3-WHO ARE YOU?

The thick fog is following me. I need to run faster. I'm cold and my feet are already bleeding but something's after me.

I stopped for a moment but the thick fog is now slowly eating me and the wailing is getting louder. I started to run again, I struggled so hard in this dark rain forest, I can't even see a thing but I need to survive. I ran even faster but I tripped on a log and it made me fall on the ground. I shouted because of the pain, I think I strained my leg but when I looked up, the fog was already closer to me. It's getting nearer and nearer to me..a minute later it formed an image--and slowly a figure of a girl with a long hair became visible. It started to walk toward me...it's getting near me...I tried to shout but nothing's coming out...she's getting near me...NOOOO!

"Jane! Jane! Wake up!" I opened my eyes and saw my mother's worried face. It was the same nightmare that's been bothering me for ages. In my dream I was always running for my life and there's always this someone who's trying to get rid of me.

"Are you okay?" she asked me while wiping the sweat all over my face. I'm still catching my breath.

"I'm fine now...I guess," I said with a tremulant voice.

"You have make up classes today right? Come down after you wash yourself, I have prepared your breakfast."

"You did? Where is Mrs. Josephine?" I find it odd. My mother didn't bother to cook for me ever since I arrived a week ago. I didn't know that she can cook because I always find her near the window staring blankly outside. It was  her first time to approach me too.

"She took a sick leave. Hurry now, I'll wait for you," I nod at her as she carefully closed the door in my room. It was just a week since I met my mom. I grew up in an orphanage because I was an unwanted child. It was a miracle that my mother came looking for me after eighteen years. I didn't hold any grudge against my parents because I know that they have their own reasons back then.

My classes just got finished when I received a text. I opened it without hesitation.

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU!" It was from Chelsie. My heart beats faster when I read the text. I froze from where I stand and felt my knees trembled. Cold sweat started to fall from my face. My phone vibrated again, it's the same message.

It vibrated again...the same text message kept coming. It didn't stop. I ran into the comfort room and locked myself in the cubicle when suddenly the lights turned off. Only the light coming from the upper window illuminated the room.

"Leave me alone!" I shouted. I closed my eyes and covered my ears with my hands. I felt the cold breeze within my bones.

"It should have been you...what have you done to me Chelsie?" I heard the voice clearly.

"I-I'm not Chelsie. I-I'm Jane!"

"You should have been the one to die and not me!"

"Stop this! Noo!" I shouted so hard and got out from the cubicle.

Right. This is just a dream. I need to wake up from this dream.

"Chelsie. It should have been you," whispered the voice again. I tried to ignore it. I washed my face to wake myself from this nightmare but when I looked at the mirror, I saw her. I straightened my face and gave her a serious gaze.

I should stop this show.

"It's been a long time, Jane," I looked at her straight in the eyes. She stayed silent.

"Surprised? You think you can scare me?" I paused and put my phone down.

"I have enjoyed living under your name. It was a good thing to escape our fate by willingly exchanging paths just like how you agreed to pretend and bear my name--Chelsie Gomez to achieve your dream to study abroad and how I used your name and live as Jane Lucas to satisfy my idiotic illusion to have a family," I turned my back and faced her.

"I'm gonna get my life back. It should have been you who should have died in the plane crash! If I can't get my life back, then I'll take you with me!" She said firmly.

"No need. I guess you haven't heard at all—we're on the same ground now and there's no way to get our lives back. Your mother—she never loved you. She wanted to get you because she doesn't want a lonely death. That bewitched woman made me accompany her," I paused for a moment as I clenchedmy fist.

"Wait..w-what? You're w-what?—"

"Yeah. You're right. I am now nothing but a wandering spirit."

"No way!"

"You know what Jane? I just realized this now. there is no way for us to change our fate even if we exchanged our identity."