STORY 6-A PSYCHO'S LOVE

"Let's meet at seven o'clock this evening then."

I ended the call and put the phone back into the pocket of my bag. It's my birthday today and I planned to spend it with Dan, one of my earnest admirers.

"Who are you going to meet tonight?"

Looking back I saw Jeff, his eyes urgent. His presence makes me uneasy everyday. I felt an unexpected apprehension as I find his eyes locked on me. Jeff liking me isn't new at all. I never replied to his advances because he is so odd that I just can't imagine myself dating a dope like him but he never stopped liking me. He even keeps on getting in between my business, acting like he has the rights to do so.

"I have a date with Dan. And I'm planning to answer him tonight," I replied flatly.

"You can't do this to me Jana. You know that I love you. Why do you have to be with someone else? What do you want me to do to win your heart?"

Jeff's jaw tightened as he spoke through his clenched teeth.

"Take out that heart of yours that is inside your chest and give it to me, if you do that, I'll be your girl."

His eyes widened as it was shot with disbelief. I warmly gave him a smile before I walked pass by him. I know it seemed farfetched but I want him to stop liking me.

That evening...

I reached for the huge wooden door, and pushed. The entryway yawned open. A table with chairs on both sides having a candlelight in the middle and flowers laying all over the place left me with an astounded look of recognition. I moved stealthily into the table only to see a man emerging from the shadows--but to my surprise it wasn't Dan, it was Jeff looking so tall and handsome in his dark blue suit.

"You're not supposed to be here. Where's Dan?"

My tone was cold but slightly a speck of nervousness was laced with it.

"Aren't you happy to see me here?" Jeff heaved a sigh.

"Where's Dan?!" I reiterated.

There was an ominous pause.

"Dan won't make it."

I shook my head feeling my muscles seized with terror.

"Dan's not coming. Not now, not tomorrow, nor the day after that. There will be no Dan anymore."

"What did you do to him?!" my voice cracked up. My heart was hammering.

"Let's not talk about him. He's dead anyway. Now...why don't you open my gift for you?" he was grinning at my face that was drown in a wave of horror maniacally.

Hesitantly, I reached for the box that was on the table.

"Open it," Jeff demanded.

I untied the ribbon and opened the box. I was momentarily paralyzed as I saw what's inside. I sputtered in shock.

It was a heart that was still beating!

Was this Dan's heart? What did he do? I wasn't able to take my eyes off of the box.

How come this heart is still beating?!

Jeff's eyes feasted upon my frightened face.

"D-dan— I stammered.

"It isn't Dan's heart.

It's my heart.

Now, will you be my girlfriend?"