STORY 17-THE GIRL WHO ALWAYS WEAR SUNGLASSES

I AM A TOTAL LONER.

I don't have any friends. At school, I always take the seat at the right corner of the room, the next two seats beside me are left empty for nobody wants to go near me. I was bullied. I ranked last in the whole class. I was called a lunatic because I always wear sunglasses even if I'm inside the room. Nobody wants to befriend me.

Who wants to be friends with a loser anyway?

I eat alone. I read alone. I do my projects alone. I survive every day just like this. But things have changed when Sammy transferred into our school. She was the first person who approached me even if I am an introvert.

"Yen, let's eat lunch together, I packed some food for the both of us."

It has been a week that she's been eating with me and making lunch boxes for me. Sometimes I would ask her why is she doing all of this but she'll just say "just because" then she'll change the topic leaving me no chance to raise another query.

"I heard there will be an eclipse tonight," I spoke as I motioned to sit beside her.

We are at the school's rooftop watching the starry night sky. It's almost seven in the evening, the whole surroundings has been eaten by the night.

"O-oh r-really?" she cleared her throat.

"Are you okay? Are you feeling cold?" I was about to touch her forehead to check if she has caught a fever but she leaned backward.

"I'm fine. Can I ask you something?" she opened a can of soda then gave it to me.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Why is it that you never take your sunglasses off?" I took a sip at the soda and let its sweetness linger in my mouth.

"Are you sure you want to know why?" after a minute of silence, she said

"Yes, tell me."

"I can see ghosts. Weird right? But I ain't kidding. You know, lost souls wandering around pretending they are still human. I wear this so that they won't know that I can sense them even if they stole someone else's body and live in it."

"That's why you can see me?"

"Yes."