STORY 8-THE DOCTOR

“Good evening sir, did I wake you up?

A smiling nurse came into my friend’s room. It was our third day in the hospital. I volunteered to be her guardian since she’s been living by herself and she has no family nor relatives anymore.

“U-uh, n-no. Temperature check?” I asked in my sleepy voice.

“Yes, sir.”

“Okay.”

“All done,” then he left. My head felt so heavy. I’ve been staying awake for two nights straight. Good thing she’s gonna be discharged tomorrow. I miss my comfy bed so very much!

“Alex, I’m gonna take a nap okay? If you need anything just wake me up.”

“Sure, I’ll sleep right after I finish this episode,” There she goes again with her kdrama addiction.

I was about to lie my head on the pillow when a good-looking doctor went into the room. He looked so clean in his sky blue laboratory gown. It was my first time seeing him, maybe he is the new doctor who’s on duty.

“Good evening sir, I’m just gonna inject this last med for your friend here okay?”

“What’s that medicine for? Her doctor said that she’s gonna be discharged tomorrow.”

“This will just take a minute,” he acted like he didn’t hear me and hastily injected the syringe containing a yellow liquid to my friend.

“All done,” he said in a stern voice then he turned his back on us.

“H-hey—“

“Let it be, Erick. He’s a doctor. He knows what he’s doing,” Alex cuts me off.

“B-but, he is not the doctor who was assigned to you.”

“It was just an antibiotic, okay? Don’t overreact. I’m sleepy, I’ll sleep now.”

I tried to calm myself down as Alex motioned to sleep. Maybe it was just an antibiotic, but I can’t really erase this unfamiliar feeling that has find its way into my veins.

-------------
“1, 2, 3—charge!”

“Again!”

“1, 2, 3---charge!”

I woke up as I heard the loud voice of the doctor. My sight was still a bit blurry but I know that they are in our room, and they are trying to revive----ALEX?!

“W-what’s happening?” my voice cracked.

A long monotonous tone welcomed my senses, “Time of death, 4:32 AM”

“B-but s-she was j-just doing fine!” I was crying already.

“Her doctor said that she will
be discharged this morning, w-what j-just happened? T-this can’t be...n-no!”

“I’m sorry for your loss,” the doctor tapped my shoulder as if he was trying to comfort me.

“W-wait! T-there was a d-doctor who injected something in her around 11 o’clock last night. He was wearing a blue lab gown, he w-was tall a-and..and he was white and skinny—“

“S-sir, we don’t wear blue laboratory gown. The doctors and nurses do their rounds at 1 o’clock in the morning,” a nurse explained plainly.

“T-there was someone here last night! If you don’t believe me, then let’s check the CCTV in this room,” I raised my voice as I spoke with conviction.

“Calm down sir, okay come with us, let’s check what really happened.”

I clenched my fist as I was walking in the empty hall heading toward the security room. I was really sure that it was because of the med that was injected last night.

“Around 11 pm right sir?” the man wearing a thick eye glasses asked.

“Yes,” I replied.

I watched as a man walked into the room wearing a blue laboratory gown. That moment was really caught on cam.

“Is there another way to see the face of the man clearly? Can you check the camera facing the door of the room?”

Just a minute sir---here we go”

Wait, stop. Zoom in the face of that man,” horror covered my face as I saw the face of the man who was caught on cam injecting a syringe to Alex.

I can’t find my voice to speak.

My knees trembled in fear and disbelief.

“Sir this man is---YOU.”