Chapter 8

The pairs of eyes and sets of teeth began to close in on the unconscious young woman, whispering to each other in the darkness.

"So someone was actually willing to die for the poor old bastard." A gruff voice whispered. "Stupid but she's got guts. I'll give her that."

"Such a lovely thing." A high pitched voice whispered. "A pity that she'll have to die."

"I don't think this is really fair." A third, more sensible voice whispered. "She may have asked for the rose but it was her father's fault for foolishly taking it from someone else's garden."

"Whoever said that life was fair sweet wings?" The fourth voice whispered nonchalantly. "And since when has morality ever mattered to him?"

"Shh! He's coming!" The last voice warned.

At once the creatures who owned these eyes and teeth moved away from Charlotte, hiding themselves away so they wouldn't have to witness the terrible carnage about to take place. A single pair of footsteps made it's way toward the merchant's daughter and with each step the ground felt as if it were quaking.

Charlotte turned to the side but she did not wake. Not even when a clawed hand grabbed her white neck. The creature that said claw belonged to was truly a nightmare come alive. It's skin was desiccated with blood red fur covering it all over, it's complexion ash-gray of death, on it's head was a tangled and unkept red mane along with long, sharp, blood stained antlers, but the face of the beast was truly the most frightening of all it's features. It resembled some sort of deer from hell with fangs like knives, a gaunt structure, eyes sunken and burning red, and a mouth that had twisted itself into a vicious smile. He wore clothes and ironically they were very clean and appropriate yet he wore a long hooded cloak that he would sometimes use to cover his face.

He stared down at Charlotte, waiting for the right moment to grip her neck hard and thus instantly killing her. He would then drink the blood that would spew from her corpse and eat her flesh just as he would do to all of his victims however he hesitated to do so because in that moment he found himself completely captivated by her loveliness.

She was beautiful. The most beautiful creature he had ever seen in all of his life. More beautiful than any flower or bird that he had spent many hours admiring. In fact her entire appearance reminded him very much of the roses in his garden. Her hair was golden and silky like the yellow roses, her cheeks blush and sweet like the pink roses, her skin ivory and fair like the white roses, and her lips crimson and tempting like the red roses. She was absolutely stunning.

His claws moved from her neck and turned her face toward his so he could study her features better and the more he gazed upon her face the more he began to lose the desire to devour her.

He slid his arms under her back and legs, carefully lifted her from the floor and proceeded to tenderly carry her up a cobblestone stairway and through a long corridor of black trees. He finally stopped at a door which opened by itself and allowed the beastly master to enter. Once inside the bedroom Charlotte's simple peasant dress was transformed into a beautiful gown adorned with jewels however  she still did not awaken. He carefully laid her down on the bed and took one last moment to linger at her angelic face.

When he felt his usual and vile yearning start to stir again he forced himself away from her and hurried toward the front gates of the castle.

"Running away?"

"I do not need her blood." He said. "The woods are full of does."

"There is still time. Think of what you are denying yourself. The sound of her voice when she screams, the terror in her delicate eyes, the taste of her innocent heart."