Chapter 14

Vagatha and Niffty soon left the music room to continue their work for the day. Charlotte left the room as well but to do some more exploring around the castle. She wondered what other secret rooms and hidden areas existed in her new home. However finding them would be extremely tricky due to the seemingly endless darkness that the palace was shrouded in.

"I don't understand why he keeps everything here so concealed?" She thought to herself out loud. "I wish that there could be some more sunlight coming in. Not only to brighten things up around here but also so I could see more easily."

As soon as she was finished talking the dead leaf rooftops began to part and some of the black tree walls drew back, allowing rays of sunshine to pour through.

"That's better." She said with a smile of astonishment. That was the second time the castle magically provided her with what she had requested. The first time was when she said that she wished to her father and that's when his image appeared in her vanity mirror. She wondered how this was accomplished. But she would dwell on it later.

"Now let's see if there are anymore rooms here that I missed."

She found a third room that she had not been through midway of the corridor. She opened the door and stepped inside to find a large number of spinning wheels, weaving looms, and wooden models. To the side of the room there was a table where cobbling and sewing tools were laid out and across from it was a rack of various fabrics hanging. There were a lot of spider webs hanging about too and they were huge. About the size of a fishing net.

"What kind of spider could have made webs like these?"

She was given her answer when a random fly flew into the room and became caught in the sticky substance. A hand then pulled the fly from the web and popped it into a mouth.

"How lucky for me." A voice from above said. "I was just thinking about having a small snack before dinner."

Charlotte turned her head up to the ceiling where the voice had come from and what she saw made her become completely terrified. At the top, hanging by a strand of web was a creature with four arms and four legs, paper white colored skin and hair all over itself including it's face, eyes that were so pink you'd swear that they had some form of an infection, gripping claws on the tips of it's fingers instead of nails, and small sharp teeth that could be seen sticking out of it's mouth. The rest of it's appearance resembled that of a human male and it was dressed in a simple shirt, a vest, a pair of pants and a leather apron while measuring tape hung from it's neck and a few tacks were held by it's teeth.

"Oh I didn't see you there." He said finally taking notice of Charlotte's presence. He lowered himself down to her by the strand of web he had latched on to. "Can I help you with something?"

Charlotte didn't say anything. She just stood there looking at him. Reason why is because like most women and even some men, she found spiders to be very scary and unsettling. So you can imagine the terror she was feeling at the moment when she came face to face with a human sized spider.

"So are you going to say something or just stand there? Cause I'm on a very strict schedule and if I don't stick to it then Vagatha unleash her unholy wrath upon me."

When she could bring herself to talk again she started to sputter.

"You're...You're...You're....You're a...A...A...A...Spi...Spi...Spi..."

"A spider? Well duh! What did you think I was? A grasshopper?"

"You're a big spider."

"And you're a petite human, what's your point?"