Chapter 52

Upon returning to her room, Charlotte did find an impressive looking chest waiting for her just as Alastor had said. She opened the chest and proceeded to fill them with all her gowns, slippers, jewelry, perfumes, brushes, and farewell gifts that the servants had given her. Then she politely requested permission to enter the pavilion so she could gather things to be given to her family. Gold coins for her father and a few gemstones for her sister. As she packed everything all together, she wondered if there would be room for everything she wanted to bring but despite the large amount of items she had chosen, the chest was never filled.

"I wonder if any of these gowns will fit Helsa." Charlotte said. "She'll definitely want me to give her some of them once she sees how beautiful they are."

"She can't have them." Vagatha said. "The gems you chose to give her are all that she will have from Alastor. The gold coins will belong to your father but everything else is yours and only yours."

"But I do not mind sharing what is mine with my family."

"Alastor knows that but he is almost certain that they will just take and take from you without giving in return. They have their gifts and you have yours."

"Besides I don't want my masterpieces of cloth and thread being worn by that wench." Anthony said.

"Anthony!" Charlotte objected. "I won't have you insult my sister. She is my family and I love her."

"Well judging from what I've heard she doesn't love you as much as you love her. In fact I don't think she really loves you at all."

"Anthony, I think that's enough." Vagatha warned.

"I'm just saying, she's not someone you should be in a hurry to get back to."

"Anthony! Be quiet and keep packing!" Vagatha said sternly.

Anthony would have continued but Vagatha used her warning glare on him and he knew better than to cross that line. So he kept silent and proceeded to assist Charlotte in getting her things together.

"I want to thank you both for helping me pack." Charlotte said gratefully.

"Happy to help." Vagatha said. "But I have to admit, I'm a little sad to see you go. We all are.

"I know." Charlotte said. "But I will visit. You all know that, don't you?"

"Yes we do." Vagatha smiled. "I have complete faith that we'll see you again eventually, and I hope that we haven't made you feel guilty for leaving. You have every right to. You have others in your life who you care for. We shouldn't be selfish."

Vagatha was staring at Anthony as she said those words.

"Oh I would never think any of you selfish." Charlotte said. "And I can understand if you're all upset about me going."

"Still as your friends we must consider your happiness. Alastor wouldn't want you to stay here for anyone's sake except your own and we all agree. Right Anthony?"

"Right." He said. "I'm sorry about what I said about your family. I didn't mean it, It's just going to be very hard to get used to you not living here anymore. You know you're the only person who ever appreciated my talent."