Chapter 61

The next day, all Charlotte could think about was her dream. She told herself that it most likely didn't mean anything because she didn't recognize the people she saw in her dream yet there was something familiar about them. She spent hours racking her mind about who they could be and why she felt a sense of familiarity.

"Is something wrong Charlotte?" Baxter had asked her at breakfast once he noticed the distressed look on her face.

"No. No I'm fine. I was just thinking about a strange dream I had last night."

"Another one?" Helsa said. "That's the tenth one you've had. You must really have some mental issues."

"No I do not." Charlotte said slightly irritated. "But this dream was very different from the ones I've been having. It was about-"

"No one cares Charlotte. Anyway the only thing you should be thinking about is how to help Father get better."

"It's been awhile since Father has taken ill." Charlotte said. "I'm beginning to fear that he might have something fatal. Baxter is the physician back in town yet?"

"No. I'm afraid not." He answered.

"How long will he be gone? Maybe I should go fetch him."

"No. You're needed here." Helsa said. "And you mustn't worry too much sister. I'm certain that the physician shall return soon."

"I don't know. Something doesn't seem right."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I...I can't explain it but...Nevermind. I'm going to take Father his breakfast now."

She fixed a bowl of porridge, a cup of tea, placed them both on a tray, and proceeded to go upstairs to her father's room.

"She's getting suspicious." Baxter whispered to Helsa once Charlotte was gone. "I think it's only a matter of time before she figures out what's really going on."

"Well if she does it doesn't really matter anymore." She then presented something that she was hiding in her dress sleeve. It was a ring. The ring that Alastor had given Charlotte.

"Helsa, your father told you not to take the ring."

"Since when have you known me to do anything my father tells me to do." She said admiring the lovely piece of jewelry. "Look at it. Diamonds, silver, and this main jewel, I don't know what it is but it's the most gorgeous stone I've ever seen."

"But it doesn't belong to you."

"Who cares? Besides it would look much better on me." Helsa attempted to put the ring on her finger but it suddenly became too small for her to even put it over her nail. "What? What is this?"

"What's wrong?"

"The ring, it won't fit me. I can't get it on."

"Must not be your size."

"But it fits Charlotte and we have the same size finger. Just what's going on here?"

Helsa spent some time trying to get the ring on to her finger but just as Alastor had told Charlotte the night he gave the ring to her, the ring itself would only fit the person it had been given to. Meaning until Charlotte bestowed the ring to another, the band would only slide on to her finger.

"What damnable luck!" Helsa cursed as she threw the ring into the fireplace. "I finally find a ring worthy of me and I can't even wear it."

"What about the ring I gave you?" Baxter asked.

"You mean this cheap trinket?!"

She tore off the band on her left finger and flung it into his face. Which was at the exact moment Charlotte returned from her father's room.