Chapter 49

The entirety of next week was completely devoted to Charlotte. For seven days everything would be done for her pleasure and her pleasure alone. Sunday was spent playing playing in the snow and taking another sleigh ride through the forest. Monday they all sat in the library where Alastor and Charlotte read out loud to the servants and put on a sort of production for them. Tuesday it was a picnic in the garden followed by hiding and chasing games. Wednesday they were in the art gallery having a painting contest which Vagatha won. Thursday it was cooking a large breakfast for everyone with Niffty and helping Anthony with some designing. Friday was a day of music making, a full on concert for the staff.

Saturday however was to be the most special of all. An elegant dinner, a song on the harpsichord, dancing on the balcony, and then Alastor would pop the big question. The servants pulled out all the stops for this. Anthony designed and sewed the most chic gown and suit for the couple to wear, Niffty cooked her most sumptuous meal ever, Cherri and Husk decorated the room romantically, and Vagatha saw to it that the entire process was done in an orderly fashion. But setting up a romantic evening was the only thing the staff had planned. They too had some surprises up their sleeves.

"In honor of your last day here my lady." Niffty said to Charlotte just before she would begin to prepare for the evening. "We have all brought you special gifts to remember us by."

"Oh thank you but there was no need." She said.

"But we wanted to give you gifts." Vagatha said. "You've become more than a guest to us. We're as fond of you as we are of Alastor."

"Although Husk won't admit it." Anthony said.

"Watch it six eyes." Husk warned.

One by one, each servant handed Charlotte a beautifully wrapped box which contained an equally beautiful gift. From Vagatha, a portrait of Charlotte in the garden with everyone when they went on that picnic together, painted with the most lovely water colors. From Anthony, a silken and chiffon scarf, embroidered with detailed designs of roses. From Husk, a silver jewelry box that played music. From Cherri, a crystal bottle of exquisite perfume made from the roses in the garden. And from Niffty, a golden charm bracelet and the charms were made to resemble a cat, a lizard, a mouse, a spider, a moth, and finally a heart.

"These are wonderful." Charlotte said admiring each and everyone of the gifts. "I really don't know what to say."

"So you really like them?" Cherri asked.

"I love them. I'll cherish them for the rest of my life. Thank you all so very much."

"So which gift is your favorite?"  Anthony asked.

"Anthony we said we weren't going to do that." Vagatha said.

"I know but what's the harm in choosing favorites?"

"I can't choose which one is my favorite because they're all the exact kind of gift I would want." Charlotte said. "A gift with love."

Charlotte was not unfamiliar with being given expensive and extravagant gifts. They had been given to her since she was a few days old and although she appreciated them, as the years went on she realized that those gifts were given to her as way to buy her off. Buy her favor and her adoration. Or in her father's case, but her forgiveness when he was too busy to spend time with her. She could recall very few gifts that were given to her out of sincere thought and love. Also these gifts were not just given in sentiment but they had been given with her tastes and preferences in mind.

The painting of her with her friends exhibited her appreciation for art and served as memoir to a happy time she spent with her new friends. The scarf and perfume were made based off of her love for roses, her favorite flower. The musical jewelry box was given with her passion for music and song in mind. And the bracelet was given to her out of her desire to always hold those close to her in her heart and memory. The thought and consideration that had gone into each gift touched her heart and made her love for the servants increase.