Chapter 44

Anthony and Vaggie noticed the way Alastor's body shook as the realization hit him. Truthfully they weren't surprised by his behavior because this was the first time he had ever been in love. For years the only love he had ever known was the maternal love of his late mother and the fondness of his faithful servants. He never thought that he could ever know the kind of love felt between a gentleman and a lady. He never thought that a creature with a face as hideous as his would ever experience that warm glow.

But things had changed so much through out the months. The castle had changed, it was becoming less and less dark and cold, allowing more light and warmth to appear. Sunlight reaching to nearly every corner and flowers blooming in the corners as well. Fearful surroundings were slowly but surely turning to beautiful ones. There was almost nothing in the entire castle that displayed loneliness, sorrow, or fear.

He himself had also changed. He was becoming more and more empathetic. Actually feeling remorse and guilt over his cannibalistic actions. In fact the memories of his human diet would sometimes make him ill. But guilt aside, he felt tenderness in his heart and a desire to behave as a man would. He felt Happier. Happier in Charlotte's presence. Whenever he was with her he would forget all the things he hated about himself. He didn't feel ugly when he was with her. He didn't feel like a beast. He felt like a man.

Now he was going through physical changes. His blood thirsty red eyes transforming into gentle brown eyes. It worried him. Why was this happening? Why was he changing like this?

"Alastor are you alright?" Anthony asked with concern.

"I'm fine." He answered while still avoiding eye contact.

"Then why won't you look at us when we talk to you? What's going on?"

Alastor put his hands over his eyes and let out a sigh. He was a fool to think that he could hide this from them.

"Alright I'm about to show you two something but please do not panic."

He slowly lowered his hands from his face and opened his eye lids so that his servants could see the change. They were both slack jawed.

"Alastor...Your eyes." Vagatha said. "What happened to them?"

"I don't know." He answered. "I just woke up this morning and they were like this."

Vagatha took hold of his chin and pulled his face closer so she could see them better.

"Oh dear lord they're just like your father's." She said. "Identical to the portrait in every way."

"Is that the only change?" Anthony asked.

"I think so." Alastor answered. "Everything else seems to be the same."

"Do you know when this occurred?"

"No but if I had to estimate it would have been sometime between last night and this morning."

"When you were taking care of Charlotte?"

"Yes."

"Alastor, tell us the truth." Vagatha began. "Between all that time were you ever affectionate with Charlotte?"

He blushed and looked upward in a bashful manner.

"I...I...I did hold her rather close to my body to keep her warm."

"So you cuddled with her?"

"Yes." He squeaked like a school boy who had been given his first kiss from a girl. "And I may have given her a few harmless pecks."

"Pecks? Like kisses?"

"That's one way to put it." He desperately tried to get rid of the redness in his face. "What does that have to do with anything?"