CHAPTER TWELVE

"So you seriously were invisible for more than a week? And after that—"

"After that Castle found me, he told me about his plans and his powers and since then he became like a sort of father for me." Kenji and James are talking about how Kenji met Castle, again. It's cute though, but we've all have heard the story for more than a thousand times by now.

I can hear Lily and Alia have a small talk about whatsoever. Warner is speculating about something while listening to Kenji and James's conversation and Adam,— Adam is just sitting there, saying nothing while poking his food.

"Adam, can I talk to you for a minute." He immediately looks up at me, he's surprised, in these two years we barely talked. Warner also pays attention to our unraveling small conversation, but I decide to ignore it.

Adam nods as he stands up from the table, I follow the lead and I gesture him to go to the hallway.

Once we're in the hallway, Adam leans against the wall looking expectantly at me. For a few moments we both don't say a word. There is a tense silence playing a game between us. Until Adam interrupts the silence.

"Juliette, why did you want to talk to me?" He sounds tired, exhausted even.

Why?

"I want to make sure you're okay. In the past few weeks you seem to be very off. You're still my friend, I want my friends to be okay and fine."

"Thanks Juliette, it's just James starts asking all kinds of questions about his father and mother and I just can't answer them, but he won't cease."

"Adam, I've already told Warner to tell James, but he said it wasn't his choice to make. I totally understand his point, but I just want both of you to be happy. You are brothers, and deep down inside I know you guys have a lot in common. Warner wants to try and make this work, and I know you do to, but you have to try. If you want I can hang around with Kenji and James for a while. So

in that way you and Warner can bond and get to know each other, and pice by piece, Warner can get to know James and when time is ready, you can tell him the truth. You can tell him about Anderson, you can tell him how brave your mother and Warners mother were, you can tell him that it's not just the two of you and that you both have an older brother who will be there for you. Just... Think about it, please Adam, for the sake of us all." I say it all in one breath, I'm serious and relieved at the same time that I finally managed to tell him what's on my mind.

He looks at me, and for a split second I could swear he was about to cry.

Perhaps he was.

A small movement occurs in his throat, as a sign he is about to say something. "Okay."

One word.

"Okay to what?" I'm suddenly curious about what he is thinking.

"Okay to getting to know Warner, although I'm not ready about telling James about the mass murderer his father was."

I'm happy, right now I'm so unbelievably happy. I pull Adam in a fierce hug, squeezing him tightly. "That's okay Adam, I understand. But thank you that you are willing to try."

He carefully wraps his arms around me. "Your welcome Juliette." He softly whispers in my ear.

I let go of him and smile up into his blue eyes.

"We better go back to the cafeteria, before your boyfriend gets worried."

I flush as Adam refers to Warner as my boyfriend, I like that reference a lot.

"Yeah let's go." We start walking but as we almost enter the cafeteria entrance I stop in place, making Adam bump into me.

I turn around and look up at him. "Don't worry about James, you know how he is. He likes to know the answer to everything. But I want to see you smile more, you always seem relaxed when you're around Alia. I like that, seeing you happy and relaxed. And we both should hang out with each other some times, I miss your presence, like I said, you're still my friend."

He smiles down at me, but I can't cease to notice the faint flush in his cheeks when I refer to Alia.

He nods, and that's my cue to turn around and head back into the cafeteria. As we walk in I crash into James who was just about to turn around the corner.

We both stumble back and fall onto our behinds. James looks at me and I look anxious back at him, afraid I might've hurt him. But instead of crying, he cracks open with joyful laughter, soothing my anxiety.

James starts shooting a cross examination at Adam about what we've been up town the hallway. I look over to our table and hook into Kenji's gaze, alarming him that he should get James. Luckily Kenji gets the hint immediately.

"Hey James!" Kenji shouts through the cafeteria, making James look into his direction, distracting him from Adam. "Want to hear another story?"

James grins wickedly and nods with his head enthusiastically. And he practically runs over to Kenji.

"Thank you, although I love the boy loads. I really needed a pause." Adam whispers carefully

"No problem, I already figured you did." I say, smiling.

We both head over to our table, and I place myself next to Kenji instead of Warner, who eyes me suspiciously. Adam is confused, but then carefully takes place next to Warner. Warner looks back over at me and he seems to understand the situation.

"It was necessary." I mouth ar him, smiling.

He looks over at me, not saying anything while no emotion showing. But he isn't objecting either.

And for the first time in two year I finally dare two think that these two brothers might finally will try to be friends.