IX

{This song just makes me think of Olivia running through the woods. Elder Scrolls Soundtracks just take me to another realm.}

Olivia had been asleep for the rest of the night and slept through the next two days

Olivia had been asleep for the rest of the night and slept through the next two days. The Pevensies were worried if she'd wake up any time soon. Peter stayed in his observatory with Witherglow the dwarf, tearing into every scroll and book about what could have happened. Susan continued running the kingdom, taking Peter's place in most matters, with Tumnus continuing his job as the advisor. Though they kept Willow close now and again to have any updates on Olivia's condition. Lucy tried to continue her days looking after Princess Morana and Lord Sasha, as the siblings didn't want to have them disregarded as guests. Although, she would often find a moment to visit the sleeping girl, in hopes that she'd awaken.

Edmund had refused to leave her side every time he visited, but Willow and the nurse Rosemary, a red dwarf, would always send him away to fulfil his duty as King of the Just and training any new knights. That never stopped him from visiting as often as possible, however. Thurma was also there to check in when he couldn't be there.

"Ed?" Peter opened the door to Olivia's chambers. The younger king sat in a chair at her bedside. He looked tired, sad. His siblings could tell how much he and the unconscious girl had grown close over the almost two months. His eyes didn't stray from her when Peter walked in, not until his older brother had placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"Ed, I need you to head to the Western Wood with the rescue party." 

Edmund's first thought was to protest instantly, but then he remembered his duties as a king. He had organised the rescue party, gathering some of his best soldiers to look for any survivors of Telmar. They were already a day behind, he was supposed to leave the morning after the party but after what had happened in the gardens that night he was set back. 

"I know," Edmund muttered, looking up at his brother. "It's my duty." 

"We'll look after her. Don't worry." Peter smiled softly. The two were never emotionally close, they had their sisters to be vulnerable to. Peter knew how closed off Edmund could be. The only sibling he knew Edmund had a soft spot for was Lucy and he didn't blame him. All the Pevensies had a special bond with their youngest sister, she was the one that could bring them all together in the chaos. 

"I'll leave this evening just... let me say goodbye." Edmund pleaded. Peter nodded and soon left. He was alone now. He didn't even know what to say. What could he say? What do you say to someone who can't possibly hear you? Edmund eyed her hand for a moment, before taking it gently in his. 

By Aslan, what was happening to him? Edmund was someone who wasn't interested in finding a queen, in finding anyone at that matter. He didn't want to taint anyone with his shadows. It was bad enough that some subjects still referred to him as the 'Traitor King' or the 'Cold King'. He wasn't like Lucy, who never went a day without smiling or laughing. He wasn't like Susan who showed deep compassion to her subjects, schooling them and playing with the children. He certainly wasn't like Peter. Peter was someone who could walk into a room and everyone would see him. Peter was someone who could make a great first impression without lifting a pinky. And then there was Edmund, the 'Cold King', the 'Traitor King'. Edmund was someone who could kill an enemy without a flinch. He was Edmund the Just. He knew of the consequences. He knew of mercy. He knew the balance and what it took to keep it.