XVIII

"I hope everything we're offering you is to your liking," Susan spoke softly, sipping her tea

"I hope everything we're offering you is to your liking," Susan spoke softly, sipping her tea. Morana smiled politely. 

"Yes, you've all been such perfect hosts. I couldn't ask for anything more than your hospitality, my queen."

The weather was lovely in the gardens of Cair Paravel. Queen Susan had invited Princess Morana to have tea. The excuse was that since Morana and Peter were spending more time together, Susan insisted that she got to know Peter's potential suitor.

The Telmarine placed her cup onto the saucer. "So, will Queen Lucy be joining us at all?"

"No, unfortunately, Lucy had some business to take care of for Edmund whilst he's away."

~.~

"I can't believe I agreed to do this." Lucy scolded as she powered down the halls with Tumnus at her side.

"You know this is the right thing to do, Lu," Tumnus replied. "Besides, we all know she could be up to something more than just this book."

"Well, we're going to find out soon enough."

They came to the door of Morana's bed chambers, noticing how the halls were empty. Lucy nodded to her best friend. "Alright, three knocks to get out. Susan said she'll keep her as long as possible."

The young queen opened the door quietly and slipped in. Morana's bedroom was originally a guest room, just a few doors down from Olivia's room. It did not change much when the Telmarine princess moved in. Lucy's first guess, looking for the little black book, was on her desk. It was full of papers, letters, and books from the library. Lucy recognised a few, considering she had read many of the books in the library. She rummaged through everything. 

Nothing.

Next were the drawers within the desk. Searching through them all, Lucy was left empty-handed. She huffed. She did not know how much time was left and anxiety was rising in the back of her mind. 

"Oh, come on. Where are you?"

Beside the bed was a drape that did not belong to the room. The purple colour was not in the scheme of blue and cream in the room. Lucy began moving over to it slowly. There was something off that grew in the back of her mind. That particular part of the room was strangely dark, a shadow casting over. Her hand reached out for the drape.

A chirp snapped her from her mission. She looked towards the balcony to find a peculiar bird, a kind she'd never seen before. The feathers were a mixture of blue and silver, with one big black feather crowning its head. Its head and tail feathers were long and wisped in the breeze outside. It was quite large for any bird, however, it was a species the young queen had never seen before.  Lucy felt as if she had gotten caught. So, she swallowed the nervous lump in her throat and stepped towards the newcomer.

"Hello," she smiled. "Are you a friend of Princess Morana?"

The bird did not respond, only watched as Lucy slowly approached. "I don't think we've met before. I am Queen Lucy of Narnia. Would you mind telling me your name?"