XV

The trip north to the lamppost was surprisingly uneventful for the companions

The trip north to the lamppost was surprisingly uneventful for the companions. Phillip and Cheval trudged through the snow, Cheval having it easier as his breed was well for harsh conditions. Willow was strangely quiet, but no one forced him to talk, for they knew of the memories that had been swirling in his mind. Seven was on high alert on the faun's shoulder, paw on the hilt of his sword as his eyes darted around constantly.

"We should pick up the pace," he announced. "Even some of the trees here are on the Witch's side."

Olivia pulled her cloak tighter around her body. Edmund looked over at her. 

"Are you cold?" he asked and she let out a breathy laugh.

"Freezing. I can't believe all of Narnia was once like this," she answered. "How did you survive this place in just a dressing-gown and pyjamas?" 

Edmund didn't hide the amused smile on his face as he answered, "When the White Witch found me on the side of the path she shared her fur coat with me, then took me back to her castle for hot chocolate." 

Olivia hummed, a small smirk gracing her features. "Wonder if Elias would be willing to do the same."

They came to a clearing where their laughter suddenly died down and Olivia's eyes went wide. At the opposite end of the snowy clearing was a creature she was all too familiar with from previous dreams and visions. 

The wolf with bright blue eyes.

~.~

"I don't know if I can do this." Morana's hands fidgeted together as she stared at her feet, refusing to meet the gaze that glared at her in the mirror. 

"And why not, darling?" A deep voice asked, feigning such comfort. If the princess were being honest, she was afraid. Why did she ever agree to this?

"He's a good man. He and his siblings. Queen Susan is already suspicious of me. When we see each other, she becomes poised and stoic. I think she knows." 

"Don't worry about the high queen, I'll handle her. All you need to do is use your charm and then I will have influence on the royal authorities, understood?"

"Yes, Lord Elias." Morana swallowed a lump in her throat as the man in the mirror smiled darkly. He reached through the mirror and lifted her chin to meet his gaze. 

"Don't worry, pet. You'll have your throne and you won't have to worry about that barbarian pest taking away your kings and queens. You'll be on the Narnian and Telmarine throne before you know it."

"Susan?" Lucy knocked on her sister's door before opening it slightly. She popped her head in to find the high queen at her desk, finishing up some paperwork. Susan smiled at the sight of her little sister. 

"Come in, I'm just finishing. I need your help with something."

"What is it?" Lucy sat in a chair on the other side of the desk. Susan's chambers were much like her siblings. Each had an office and a bedroom, sectioned off by a wooden and glass door. As Lucy's room was more decorated with oranges and greens, Susan's was more blue and purple. Lucy always commented how her sister's room reminds her of lavender and periwinkles, Susan's favourite flowers.