XIII

When Olivia had awakened, she felt the cold of the ground beneath her

When Olivia had awakened, she felt the cold of the ground beneath her. The snow melted and soaked through the blanket due to her body heat, making her shiver. Memories rushed through her mind and suddenly she sat up. "Edmund!"

"Relax, I'm here." 

Turning to her bedside, Edmund smiled down at her from the short stool he sat on in the candlelight. He was wrapped in a fur cloak, but he himself looked a bit cold. At the mere sight of the young king, Olivia attacked him in a hug. The pain in her shoulders she didn't pay attention to at this moment. He was alive, next to her.

The feeling of seeing her awake and in his arms again made Edmund's heart jump. All the nights he spent awake back in Cair Paravel, wondering if she'd ever open those ocean blues again paid off. She was here, alive and safe, with him. Now, he had time to hold her without any interference of harpies or boggles.

"I thought you were hit with an arrow. What happened?" Questions burst from her until Edmund had to pull away and calm her down. 

"I was, but I'm fine. It wasn't deep and there was no venom. Now you, you were scratched up pretty bad. Let's see how your wounds are." His hands worked on the cloak around her shoulders and Olivia then realised that she only wore a shirt under the cloak. 

Well, that explains why I'm so cold.

And suddenly, Olivia became very self-conscious. Never would she wear so little in front of any boy or man before and quickly pushed Edmund's hands away from her cloak as heat flushed over her cheeks.

"I-I can do it myself." she stuttered as her hands fumbled with the buttons of her shirt. Edmund must have caught on and quickly turned his head away, scolding himself. What was wrong with him? Why did he think it would be okay? He wanted to slap himself so hard. Clearing his throat he still cast his eyes down to the ground.

"Forgive me. How are you feeling?"

"Fine, well I don't feel the pain I don't think. That's a good sign right?" 

"Yes. It means the herbs are working." Edmund smiled. "Dr Mosaiac healed you up well." 

When Edmund looked back, Olivia had lowered the shoulders of her shirt to expose the bandages. There was no blood spots or anything, a good sign indeed. Her face was a rosy colour and he wasn't sure if it was because of the cold weather or not. She didn't meet his gaze either, indicating embarrassment. 

"Should... Should I remove the bandages?" she stuttered out. He shook his head.

"We should wait for the doctor. He said he'll be back in a few. I wanted to be sure the bleeding stopped."

"Thank you. How do you feel?" she asked, managing to lift her eyes to meet his. 

"Perfect. I haven't felt better. I can get around, there's no pain. Not after a whole day to rest." Olivia's eyes went wide.