XVII

When Olivia resurfaced, she was no longer on the rocky shore. In front of her was a familiar beach a few meters away. The sand was almost white and beyond it, cliffs and ruins stood tall. The sun brightly shone down, the ocean was warm. The chill Olivia felt from the cold Atlantic waters was washed away. Cautiously swimming towards the shore, she kept her eyes peeled for any danger regardless of how safe she felt.

Crawling up to stand in the shallow waters of the beach, Olivia gazed upon the ruins atop the cliffs. It all seemed so oddly familiar. The waters, the sand, the cliffs.

"Olivia?"

Close enough to where she stood, a familiar boy with dark hair looked at her in shock. His brown eyes were glistening in happiness as he slowly walked towards her. Relief washed over Olivia as she recognized the boy.

"Edmund!" He looked much younger than he did when she last saw him, he could only have been thirteen or fourteen years old. 

"You... You're alive?" 

His words made her freeze on the spot. "What... what do you mean?"

Edmund was holding back tears in his eyes. It only lasted a second however before he broke down onto the white sand, murmuring words Olivia couldn't understand.

"Ed, hey," she said. "What's wrong?"

When he looked back up, Olivia saw a broken boy. He sniffed his running nose and wiped his eyes. 

"We left you, Liv. I left you."

Olivia still didn't understand. "Ed, I don't know what you're talking about."

"We fell back through the wardrobe, Liv. I had no control. We were looking for the White Stag and it led us to the Lamppost. Lucy found the way back to our world, our time. We fell back through the wardrobe. I couldn't come back to Narnia. Every night, I opened the doors to try to come back but I couldn't."

Olivia was speechless. She oddly remembered Edmund's story of how he and his siblings first came to Narnia. It was through a wardrobe in the house they were sent to in the country. This was the time the White Witch ruled over Narnia, a few years before she entered the magical land. 

She was engulfed in an embrace by Edmund as he sobbed on her shoulder. Olivia ran her fingers through his hair. "Oh, Ed."

"What happened to you?" he asked, pulling away. "What happened to everyone?"

"What do you mean? What did Elias do?"

Elias... ELIAS! The lamppost!

"I need to wake up," Olivia whispered to herself. 

Edmund looked at her confused. "What?"

"I need to wake up," she repeated, more clearly. 

"You are awake, you're here," Edmund's hand caressed her cheek. "You're here with me."