XII

Olivia huffed as she swiped her blade at Seven, who was able to parry easily

Olivia huffed as she swiped her blade at Seven, who was able to parry easily. He was quite a skilled swordsman er... swordsmouse, she thought. He could predict her every move and a few times, Olivia was shot back in time to when Edmund would train her. Except for this time, there were no snarky nor smug comments thrown about and Olivia was finally able to focus on something other than the Just King's smirk. 

"Almost, Miss Olivia, almost. You were a beat off." The mouse commented as the girl wiped the sweat off her brow. She was warm, but also cold. The further they got to the Western Wood, the temperature dropped significantly. Cheval had explained that it was because of the power rise from Elias. They had stopped at sunrise for rest and Olivia was determined to improve her skills. 

"Alright you two, come on," Willow spoke from the log he sat upon. Cheval grazed on some grass behind him. "We're supposed to be stopping to rest, not train."

"Okay, okay." Olivia laughed as they sat down on the log and cold ground. Willow handed them apples that Susan packed from her orchard. Olivia had placed Lunarstrike beside them.

"So, how much further is the Telmar River?" she piped up after a few bites. They had reached the Shuddering Wood that morning at dawn and the sun was only just peeking over the trees. It was certainly colder, Olivia having to throw on her warm cloak. 

"Only an hour or two away," Seven said as he nibbled on a slice of apple. "We must hope that King Edmund or his soldiers are nearby."

A twig suddenly snapped and all the companions froze. Many deep chuckles and giggles surrounded them. 

"Yes, you must hope. It'd be a shame if there was no one to help you."

Emerging from the brush was a creature that made Olivia's heart quiver in fear. It was a creature of wrinkles and an up-turned nose. Its teeth out-grown its mouth that spit had drooled out. Many more like it emerged out of the bushes.

"What... What is..." 

"Boggles." Willow answered her, swallowing a lump in his throat. "Get to Cheval." 

It was a sudden movement that the group of pig-like creatures ran towards them with a snorty yell. Olivia hoisted herself onto Cheval, Lunarstrike strapped on, with Seven on her shoulder and they took off. Willow took the front, leading them in the right direction. A high-pitched screech sounded above through the treetops and Olivia could see a familiar bat-like humanoid. 

"Harpies!" Seven yelled as he unsheathed his sword. A harpy dove through the branches with its talons outstretched. Seven managed to slice a finger off and the creature screeched in pain and flew off. 

"The river is close!" Willow shouted. "We'll lose them there! The king is waiting!"

"How did they know we were here?!" Olvia yelled over the wind whipping past. She noticed how the green and life diminished into cold ice and snow the further they ran west of the woods. The grass-cover ground was now snow that sprayed up at her feet as Cheval galloped.

There was a light that broke through the edge of the woods and the noise of the river picked up on their ears. Behind them, Olivia could hear the roaring of the boggles catching up to Cheval. She risked a glimpse and regretted it once she saw the creature reaching for the horse's tail. 

"Watch out miss!" Seven yelled but an arrow hit the boggle before he could slash its face.

A centaur emerged from the blue and galloped beside the running companions. A helmet covered the top of his head, eyes burning glares ready for battle. Many more followed him, creating a barrier between the horrid creatures and them.

"Our soldiers will handle these creatures. To the river, quickly!" he ordered.

As Cheval broke through the trees a harpy dove from the treetops with a screech. Its talons grabbed Olivia's shoulders, making her scream as the long sharp claws cut through her clothing into her skin. She was shoved off the horse and landed in the snow with Seven falling off her shoulder. 

"Miss Olivia!" he shouted as the harpy landed in front of her, ready to shred her to pieces. She pushed herself back and back as it crawled towards her in growls. It raised its talon attached to its wing, but in a flash, its head fell to the ground dead. A familiar blade of silver birch leaves was in its place and Olivia's eyes followed it to see the pale face of her dearest friend. Her eyes filled with tears.

"Edmund," she breathed. Edmund had felt beyond relief that he was able to save her in time. He moved closer to her and Olivia quickly snapped out of her shock, shooting forward to fall into his embrace.

All she could manage to say was his name as she sobbed as Edmund held her tight whispering reassurance in her hair of snowflakes. "It's alright. You're fine, you're fine. I'm here."

Willow, who held Seven in his hands and stood next to Cheval by the bank of the Telmar River, smiled at the two humans reunited. 

"I'm so happy to see you," Edmund said as a smile crossed his face. He pulled away slightly to look into Olivia's deep blues. His thumb gently swiped the falling tears. His chest felt full of joy to see the girl who made his heart race alive and well. He never realised how much he missed the ocean that filled her eyes. 

"Olivia," he said but then suddenly stopped, sucking in a ragged breath. His smile faded and his eyes widened. His whole body went stiff and numb as he slowly began to fall forward. Olivia caught him and it revealed an arrow that now embedded itself in his back. 

"Edmund!" 

A boggle charged at the helpless duo in the snow. It ditched the bow and arrows and unsheathed a nasty rusted blade. Olivia knew she had to do something.

"Liv, sometimes you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll have to do what you've always found impossible or terrifying."

Edmund's sword laid next to her in the snow and her hand moved to find its hilt. A wave of some power flushed over her as she laid Edmund to the side and stood with the blood-stained blade at her side. The boggle charged and Olivia suddenly felt warm, it felt as if her body knew what to do. 

Their swords clashed. It was obvious the pig was stronger as she felt the tremor shake up her arms. She wasn't going to back down, however. She refused to. Using what strength she had and the adrenaline that rushed through her veins, she pushed the boggle's blade away and attacked. The swords bounced off each other until Olivia found her opening. She whipped Edmund's sword across the boggle's body, opening its stomach gruesomely. 

"Olivia!" she heard someone shout, but the pain in her shoulders returned and the shock of all that had happened in such little time fell upon her in seconds. 

She fell into darkness.