Chapter 10

I stake out in Teresa's room, not wanting to be near Newt. I miss him, and the others, but I'm too mad to fix things. Why does he have to try to force me to see the bright side? We're all going to die, there is no bright side.

Thankfully, Thomas comes after a while to keep me company. He spends an astonishingly long time talking about Teresa – their mental bond, his worry at her disappearance, and how connected he feels to her.

Honestly, it's one of the most boring experiences of my life, but I'm thankful for the distraction. If only Chuck was here... he was always interesting and amusing, even if he was naïve. I do my best to smother the feeling, but my entire chest starts to ache as I remember him.

"And I was so worried when she was in the Slammer, but she was fine, and we talked until she was tired. It gave me horrible headaches, but- Ash, are you alright?"

I quickly swipe my hand across my eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He frowns. "Is it about Newt? What did he-"

"No," I say, not sure why I'm defending him when I'm mad at him. "I just... I wish Chuck was here."

"Oh." He looks down. "Me too."

Then he hugs me, and I cling to him. We sit there on Teresa's bed for ages, silently remembering the innocent boy who never deserved the life he was given.

"Why is it," I say with a choked-up laugh, "that I always end up holding onto you when my world comes crashing down?"

"Because I'm your best friend," Thomas says, hugging me tighter. "Newt had better be nice to you, or he'll have me to deal with."

Then he glances at me. "This is when you ought to state our friendship, Ash, and then tell me you'd beat Teresa up if she breaks my heart."

"No way, dude. She scares me."

We laugh together, and, for a few moments, I'm okay.