Chapter 16

After Newt and I eat some, we start waking the other Gladers. The word "food" is enough to have them tumbling out of the bunks. We only wake a couple at a time, though, so that it isn't too chaotic. The last thing we need is to fight each other over food.

Multiple Gladers try to get the man in the lab coat to speak, but the invisible wall surrounds the corner he's in, and his message is always the same. "I will explain everything at six o'clock. Until then, please let me read in peace."

Then he buries his nose back in his book, and eventually we give up asking.

Six o'clock ticks nearer. Thomas is awake as well, and both Newt and I laugh when he runs into the invisible wall. Even though he was warned, he's too curious to resist.

"Good to see you up, Tommy," Newt says, slapping his back. "Eat up now. Our friend over there will talk to us soon enough."

"What's your name?" I call to the man at the desk, but he ignores me.

"He looks like a right rodent," Newt mumbles, and Minho laughs.

"Rat Man," he suggests.

I grin. "Sounds perfect."

The man glances up from his book to glare at us but doesn't respond.

"I have such wonderful friends," Newt says, smiling at the man's expression.

"It's almost six," Aris says to me. I give him a confused look. I don't know why he's talking to me of all people.

His expression falls a bit. "Sorry. I'm just lonely."

I shrug. "Make friends with Thomas. He's nice."

I'd at least try to get along with the boy, but I can't run away from my fear. Friends are dangerous. Connections are weaknesses.

I will survive by standing on my own.