Prologue.

And he fell, screams piercing the air, the cringing sound of metal against metal, his sword desperately attempting to fight off the mutts, or so he hopes. After an hour of struggle, Katniss finally hears silence and what she thought a cannon go off. Her and Peeta jumped down as the mutts ran off into the distance and awaited the hovercraft.

''Peeta, it's going to be okay, we won.'' She smiled, but the smile never reached her eyes as she stared into the distance, as the mutts went out of sight. ''Peeta?'' She turned to face Peeta. What she saw was the millisecond of life before Cato's bloody hand snapped his neck all the way around. His hair was tousled, fire burning through his eyes, ''I guess the scream of a mutt being decapitated slowly sounds like a cannon and is enough to scare away the others.'' He said emotionlessly through his bloodstained mouth, part of his ear was missing and he had numerous cuts along his strong jawline. The moment she heard the snapping of Peeta's neck, she knew not only was his life over, but so was her's. It took his death to realize, she could not live without him. ''Do it Cato.'' She said as her eyes swelled, tear awakening. In that moment, he almost felt guilt. Almost. It did move him enough to make her death fast and clean. Taking back his earlier threat of ''I kill her my own way.''. Sword to the heart was a mercy killing.