This Is The Time

Time stopped.

The bleeding brunette clung to Cato as they turned back to their friend from 12, his mouth hanging agape as crimson liquid began to pour from the fresh wound adorning his stubbled neck. He seemed to try and say something, but the only thing that escaped past his lips was blood.

As Haymitch's body hit the ground, accompanied by the sound of a cannon, another body emerged from behind. Lucus, holding a blood drenched knife. 

Deja didn't have the chance to react to their friend's death, Cato had her scooped into his arms within seconds and began to run. Just as they reached the trees, Lucus not far behind, a voice came over the land.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you our finalists. Tributes Deja & Lucus from 2, along with their mentor. And now we begin the final phase.' They managed to catch the final part before all three collapsed to the ground, an invisible substance rendering them unconscious.

The first thing Deja noticed as she came to her senses was the lack of air. No longer could she feel the wind on her pale skin as she had the past 80 hours, the ground beneath her no longer grassy or sand, it was, flat? And cold. Fingertips lightly pressed on the hard surface as she willed her eyes to open, still heavy from the substance that knocked her out. 

'Cato?' She mumbled, eyes only finding him, ignoring the third body that lay unconscious a few meters away. Her mentor did not respond though, as Deja dragged her uncooperative body over to him. As her eyes adjusted to her surrounding, it began to dawn on her that they were no longer in the arena they once knew, woodland was replaced by white walls and smooth metal flooring, from what she could see, there was no doors.

'Cato, wake up, please.' She pleaded, desperately shaking the limp body. 

'He can't help you now, little one.' The menacing voice of Lucus appeared from behind her before rough hands began to drag her away from Cato, within seconds her back was against the cold wall, and his digits tightly grasping her lithe neck. 

Eyes now fully adjusted, she realised the Gamemakers had stripped them of all weapons, leaving them with only their clothing and their fists, knowing full well that she'd be defenseless against the two goliaths. Black dots filled her vision as his grip continued to to tighten, his wicked smirk threatening to be the final thing she saw. 

But it wasn't.

Her weak body dropped to the ground, emitting a pained groan as she gasped desperately for air, registering what was happening.

Cato had awoken, and was now towering over his tribute, fists colliding with his jaw over and over. Lucus fought back of course, but it was futile against the previous victor's rage.

Eventually, Deja observed Lucus beginning to stop fighting back, slowly accepting his fate just as she began to accept her's. If it was just the two of them left, she'd either have to die at the hands of the man she loved, or watch him die to save her. Neither option was appealing to her, for once, she wanted to take control of the situation.

Surely enough, the Gamemakers left the pack of pills in her pocket, intentional or not, she knew this was for the best.
And as Cato was preoccupied with finishing of Lucus, Deja downed every single pill in that container.