Chapter 2: Storm over Yarma

Ezra's mind wasn't exactly calm and rational as it was supposed to when you're responsible for the lives of four companions. Just before he, Rex, Sabine, Hondo, Zeb and Chopper left for Yarma aboard the Phantom Kanan had presented himself in his cabin as the young man was preparing for the mission.

This would normally have been a good thing, had not Ezra left the Sith holocron on the small desk of his and Sabine's cabin as he was still pondering why Jaral had left him her new lightsaber.

Kanan apparently only wanted to talk, but as if bad luck was looking directly in Ezra's direction, the older Jedi just so happened to touch the holocron and noticed it. He gave him a stern warning about how dangerous using the Dark Side was, the two quarreled and then Kanan just walked away with the holocron, leaving Ezra frustrated.

'I don't need him.' Ezra harshly thought as he was staring out of the viewport. Sabine was piloting the Phantom while he was standing right next to her chair.

"From here, we can't jump directly into the Yarma system." Sabine said. "We'll need to make a stop in the Sereeda Waypoint and then jump to Yarma."

"Careful." Hondo admonished. "That is Mining Guild territory. It would be wise not to stay there for long."

"We'll be there and gone before they notice us." Sabine said confidently.

Ezra snorted. "Why did you say that? Now they'll catch us for sure."

"Nah, be optimistic." she commented.

Well, she wasn't being that when they left hyperspace in the Sereeda Waypoint and literally in front of a Mining Guild transport with two TIE fighters escorting it.

"Be optimistic..." Ezra mocked in frustration.

"Ok, I get it." Sabine said between her gnashing teeth.

The Specters were quickly forced to defend themselves as the TIEs attacked them after Ezra ordered Sabine and Chopper to get them out. The fighters were quickly dispatched and Ezra was tempted to attack the transport, but Jinx said that a transmission to the Empire had been already sent, and with the opinions of Sabine and Rex in favor of ignoring the transport and proceed with the mission, Ezra decided to satisfy them.

And so they finally reached the cloudy heavens of Yarma. Sabine brought the craft into the atmosphere while Jinx and Chopper widened the range of the scanners as much as they could.

After a minute or two of searching, Jinx announced that they had found the station.

A hologram appeared on the main panel of the Phantom.

"There." Ezra exclaimed. "Y-Wings. They seem in a pretty decent shape, too."

"Yeah, but according to the scan there's only 15 of them." Sabine commented.

Then they noticed that the conveyor line holding the crafts moved, and one of them disappeared.

"Uh, correction, there's 14." the girl commented with some urgency.

"Damn it!" Ezra exclaimed. "We need to move now or there won't be any more left."

"Hold on," Zeb interjected. "our orders were to recon the station."

"He's right, Lieutenant," Rex added. "we should at least contact the base."

Ezra was actually tempted not to in order not to waste time. But then, a thought calmed his mind. He touched Jaral's lightsaber and he was reminded of what happened before leaving for this mission. He had promised his sister not to screw up, and even if his opinion about her was still shaky at the moment, he didn't want to break that promise.