Chapter 23: Zero Hour

As soon as the Admonitor left hyperspace over Lothal, Thrawn sent a message telling that he wanted Captain Tanis reporting to him immediately. The Grand Admiral called for Konstantine and Pryce to reach him in his office while he himself went to greet the only one of his subordinates who, so far, had given him any satisfaction.

The Captain descended, followed by two of his own stormtroopers.

"Grand Admiral." Iulius politely greeted.

"Well arrived, Captain." Thrawn said cordially. "Come with me. We have a lot to discuss and little time."

"Lead the way."

Thus, Thrawn turned around and walked toward his office with Iulius following him. When they arrived, the guard let them pass and they both headed inside the office, where Konstantine and Pryce were already waiting for them.

Thrawn headed behind his desk. Iulius stopped in front of it, like the other officers, but the Grand Admiral motioned for him to go with him and stand on his right side for the incoming transmission.

As the Chiss closed the shutters on the windows, Konstantine asked.

"Is all this secrecy necessary, Grand Admiral? The traitor has already left."

"We can never be cautious enough, Admiral. Captain, make sure to encrypt the channel against the rebels." Thrawn calmly replied.

Iulius nodded and quietly executed the order by heading at the panel and inserting his data disc.

And when he did that, a few seconds later, an hologram appeared on the chair in front of the desk. The hologram of Gran Moff Tarkin.

"Grand Admiral Thrawn." he greeted. "I trust the information you have for me was worth the wait." he added.

Thrawn was already facing him. He started to speak as he accommodated himself on his chair.

"The rebels of the so-called Phoenix Squadron are about to launch a major military strike against the Empire." he said calmly.

"They wouldn't dare!" Tarkin replied scandalized

"Oh, believe me, they would. Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it." the Grand Admiral calmly exposed his cause.

Tarkin pondered for a moment, but in the end he trusted him. "You have my attention. What target will the rebels attack?"

"I believe they're about to strike our most important facility in the region. The TIE Defender factory right here on Lothal."

Konstantine and Pryce looked at each other astounded. Iulius didn't flinch in the slightest. To him, this had been obvious for a while.

"My spies report that General Dodonna's fleet is en route to reinforce Commander Sato and Major Bridger." Thrawn added.