Chapter 10: The Wynkahthu job

News of the confrontation on Mykapo quickly made its way toward the most remote worlds of the Outer Rim. The news came that a small unit of soldiers from the Milky Way had defeated two battalions of the Imperial Army while protecting a thousand refugees wanted by the Empire.

It was definitely a big PR hit on part of the Imperial Federation, which had just shown itself to be a protector of the weak and of those who suffered under the yoke of the Empire. Not only that, its military had shown a tactical superiority over that of the Empire, clearly showing that it was not invincible and causing a surge of support for the rebel cells.

For two weeks after Mykapo, Jaral and Darvos quickly settled into their newfound responsibilities, with Jaral in particular assuming a leading role even more. Some started to say that, at this point, she was the one in charge, not Sato.

The Commander, on his behalf, didn't try to stop the voices. Instead, he started to tutor his two subordinates even more, even going so far as tasking Darvos with the formation and training of a ground unit to protect the base in case of attack, with the help of the marines of the Constantinople acting as instructors, while Jaral was even allowed to take command of a naval exercise that took place 10 days after Mykapo. While she kept training the fighter pilots, she started to grasp fleet tactics and command with the usual speed that distinguished her.

But despite that, the Phoenix Fleet was still haunted by their biggest problem: proton bombs, the lack of which still made the attack on Lothal wishful thinking.

At this point it was also a matter of credibility for the rebellion. Their allies from the Milky Way had shown them their potential on Mykapo, even putting their lives on the line and losing two soldiers to protect a group of strangers they would normally had no obligation to help. The rebellion now had to prove to the Federation that it was a force that could effectively stand up on its own to the Empire and that it would not be a burden for the Federation in the coming conflict with the Empire.

It had been 20 days after Mykapo. The Constantinople was accompanying the Ghost for a meeting in deep space with Hondo. The pirate had refitted the Sentinel-class landing craft he had stolen on Reklam Station to keep as much cargo as it could, even attaching some containers on the external hull and painting the ship in a reddish purple with yellow stripes.

While the Constantinople stood guard, the Ghost and Hondo's ship joined their airlocks. Ezra was leading the rest of the crew to meet Hondo in the docking tube, with Jaral pouting at his side.

"I can't believe I have to work with that thing." Jaral grunted.

"Come on, sis, we already discussed this." Ezra tried to calm her down.

Jaral sighed in frustration. "I know...let's just get this over with."

"Is there something you're not telling us about this job with Hondo, Ezra?" Sabine asked with a raised eyebrow.

The young man turned around and made a confident smirk.

"Come on, whenever I asked you to trust me and it didn't work?"

"Like, half the time." Sabine retorted.

Realizing that tone wasn't working, Ezra tried to keep the jovial attitude and answered. "Ok...then how many times did Jaral ask you to trust me and it didn't work out?"

Jaral couldn't help but chuckle even while keeping her attention to the door.

"Ok, now I feel safer." Sabine answered in a way that implemented that she trusted Jaral way more than her boyfriend.

"Now that's unfair. I'm a reliable guy." Ezra lamented through the bond.

"Oh, I know. That's why I let you convince me to accept this meeting." Jaral sent an amused sensation.

Saga of the Bridgers-Year 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें