Chapter 3

" Higher Collin!!" Jo laughed, as her curly hair flew behind her as Collin pushed her on the Bridgerton swing. Everyone was asleep in the Bridgerton's house hold. Jo's Papa had gone to Wexstone to make sure his affairs were in order and the people of Wexstone where happy and safe, so Jo ( as always) stayed at the Bridgerton's and their staff was given a short pay break.

" I am doing it high!" Collin shouted over their laughter.

" It needs to be higher so I can jump!" Jo said, back at Collin.

" Wait what?!" Collin said, a fearful expression on his face.

" Okay that's high enough!" Jo smiled, as she turned back around.

" Wait Jo!" Collin said, but before he could argue against it, she had jumped, and he had found himself running in front of the swing. His plan of " saving" her however, was greatly destroyed as she collided with him heavily and knocked both of them to the ground.

" Collin!" Jo grunted, as she rolled off of him " Why did you do that?!"

" I obviously didn't want you to break your leg or something didn't I!" Collin groaned, as he slowly stood up from the ground then held out his hand.

" Guess I'll have to deal with a broken rib instead then?" Jo said, grabbing Collin's hand and pulling herself up, making him rolling his eyes at her comment " Come on," she said walking past him and sitting back on the swing " Push me, my knight in shining armour!"

" Promise not to jump off?" Collin said, eyeing Jo warily.

" Promise." Jo said, rolling her eyes.

" Then I shall Lady Courtesy." Collin bowed dramatically, making Jo roll her eyes then walked behind her to push the swing gently.

" I am not a Countess yet Collin." Jo said, fixing her eyes on the lavender bush in front of them.

" But you will be," Collin said, just as blandly as Jo had talked " Only four more years to go."

" Uh, do not remind me." Jo said, rolling her eyes as Collin continued to push her.

" You do not wish to be a countess?" Collin said.

" Of course I don't, can't you see how pressured Antony is to take the place of Viscount ever since-" Jo began.

" My Papa passed." Collin said. The passing of Edmund Bridgerton was still raw to everyone, even though it's been two years since his passing, everyone missed him dearly ( especially his booming laughter at the dinner table).

" Yeah... since then." Jo said, sadly slightly lowering her head.

" So," Collin said, slowing down his pushes " What would you like to do?"

Jo sighed at this thought, she never knew exactly what she would like to do with her life. Being a lady didn't really give her that many options in life, she had always known that one day she would take the title of a Countess, get married and have as many children that her body could handle. Even at the age of 12 she knew that that was not what her heart truly desired.

" Your asking me as if I have a choice in this matter." Jo said, picking up her head to once again look at the lavender bushes.

" But you do." Collin said, a hit of confusion behind his words.

" I wish I did Collin," Jo said, shaking her head " I truly wish I did, but it's not that simple Collin," she turned her head slightly, just so she could see his hands push her shoulders " You and I both know that one day I will marry and be trapped in a marriage ( one that will be decided on his wealth and his ability to be a suitable Earl) where I stay at home all day and give birth to as many child as I can, and maybe if I love the man I marry, I shall be less unhappy with my marriage then I already will be."