Chapter 16

" You look troublesome my dear," Lady Danbury said walking into Jo's room as she placed a ruby earring in her ear. Jo's father had went to Wexstone for some last minute business and for a short period of time she would be staying at her aunts " What ever is the matter?"

" Nothing at all Antie," Jo smiled, starring at the reflection of her through the mirror as she fixed the red rose in her bun " Just thinking, that is all."

" About what, or whom should I say." She said walking next to her.

" Oh just about Collin Bridgerton breathing down my neck," Jo thought " Really Auntie it's nothing," She said turning around with a smile " Isn't Simon supposed to be here soon, can't keep him waiting." She was just about walk through the door before her aunt placed her walking stick at her feet.

" I just want you to know that you shouldn't feel pressured to tell me something that you do not feel comfortable on sharing," She said, looking straight ahead as Jo looked at her " But I just hope you trust me enough to know what is going through that pretty mind of yours."

" Thank you Auntie." Jo said kissing her cheek, and the two accompanied each other down the stairs.

***

" Would it pain you to wear some colour, Your Grace?" Lady Danbury said, as the two walked out of her home " The London season is already terribly monotonous as it is, must your wardrobe do the same?" They now came to a holt in front of a smiling Simon, who bent down to kiss Jo's cheek and hug her.

" I was told this look is all the rage!" Simon said sarcastically, as he slowly let go of Jo.

" Certainly not mine!" Lady Danbury said, smiling mischievously " Take my arm, before you make us late." And the three climbed into the carriage preparing themselves for the next event of the season.

" Passion and Romance?" Simon said, taking in Jo's rose and red dress " Now whom is to receive this message?" He raised an eyebrow.

" Anyone that may think it's about them." Jo said smiling at him with a sense of accomplishment.

***
Everyone's eyes were immediately on the three as they glided through the room with a sense of power. Of course they should feel that way, as one was the most respected Lady in London and the other two were a Duke and a Countess, everyone's eyes were bound to be on them. Thankfully for Jo the Bridgerton's were the next to walk in and took the stares with them, with Daphne on Anthony's arm leading the family.

" A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" Simon asked, as they came to a stop in front of them, but before Anthony could object Lady Danbury interrupted.

" I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia then? Lord Bridgerton." And she held out her arm for Anthony to take  " Do me the honour?"

" Of course, Lady Danbury." Anthony said, as he reluctantly took her arm.

" Oh but Jo-" Daphne said, seeing how Jo was now completely left alone.

" Never matter sister," Collin said, walking up to Jo and once again writing his name on the first and last spot on her card " I shall accompany Jo here on the floor," And Daphne gave Collin a curious look before Simon then pulled her away to the dance floor " Mother." Collin smiled, nodding to Violet.

" Collin." She said back, giving him the same curious look Daphne had just given him before Collin guided her towards the dance floor.

" Am I forgiven then?" Collin whispered, as he leaned down slightly as they walked into the dance floor.

" No just yet Mr Bridgerton." Jo said, raising an eyebrow.

" Mr Bridgerton? Ooo I'm wounded!" He said, placing a hurt hand to his heart.

" As you should be." Jo smiled, as they took their places standing in front of one another. Collin couldn't help himself but gaze at Jo the whole time, he would always feel his heart flutter when she smiled at him. Jo on the other hand couldn't seem to look at Collin long enough before the familiar blush was spread across her cheeks and neck. By the end of the dance though, the two wished that it would never end as they looked into one another's eyes with a thousand questions about what they were feeling in that moment. However, all things must come to a close.

" Forgive me now?" Collin smiled, as he looked down at Jo. Before she got to reply however, Lord Dane had now joined the conversation.

" Will you accompany me in a dance Jo?" Lord Dane said, holding out a hand.

" Jo?" Collin said, looking at Lord Dane looking utter confused about the first name bases.

" Of course Arthur." Jo smiled, and placed her hand on top of his.

" Arthur?" Collin now looked back at Jo with the same confused face. But again before Jo could reply Arthur had taken her hand and pulled her in the corner the farthest from Collin.

" I have missed our talks Jo," Arthur said, as they began to glide across the dance floor " It seems that they are the only things getting me to stay in London."

" You flatter me so Arthur." Jo smiled.

" No, it is you who flatters me by letting me to dance and have such intelligent conversations with you." He smiled back.

" I can see that is intelligence that you crave?" Jo said, raising an eyebrow.

" Of course!" Arthur said, " If I wish to spend my days with someone, I wish to have intellectual conversations when I return back home from a days work!" And there it was. She knew it was too good to be true. How silly could she be to think that she would be anything more than a stay at home wife that waits all day for her husband to return. Of course she should be grateful, most men would only want their wife's as decorations that plan their party's.

" If I do not sound so intrusive-" Jo began, but her eyes drifted over to Anthony having a very heated conversation with Lord Berbrook and Daphne walking over " Excuse me Arthur." Jo said, tapping his arm, and she quickly walked over to Daphne.

" What has happened?" Daphne said, as both she and Jo walked up to a very angry Anthony Bridgerton " Brother?"

" You need not worry about Berbrook," Anthony said " Sister, it is done," he then sighed deeply before looking over at Jo " Jo accompany me." And without a reply he hastily brought her to the dance floor as she looked over to Daphne pleadingly and they began to dance.