Chapter 26

" Well that's a compromising position," Collin said, starring up at an excellently painting nude picture. Jo snorted slightly and hit his shoulder in return " What?! I mean, do you think that ought to have happened, a bunch of nude woman standing in a forrest with fruit?"

" You do not know what happens in a woman's spare time." Jo shrugged, a smile plastered on her face refusing to come off.

" Are you implying that in your free time you go gallivanting nude in the forrest with a bunch of other women feeding each other grapes?" Collin leaned in slightly, not for it to be scandalous in the bustling sea of people, but not too innocent either.

" Never underestimate what a woman such as I can do." Jo smirked, and also lent in slightly.

" I could never fathom the the thought of doing so," He smiled, he could hear his heart in his chest imploring for him to share his feelings. He fought back every instinct with his full strength, but even then it felt useless due to the force and power those words had on his tongue " Jo I-"

" Come, let's go to my family's gallery. The art is more tasteful then these works." Jo smiled, unknowingly interrupting Collin.

" Lead the way Lady Hydeton." Collin smiled back, secretly relieved that his words were stopped before they even began.

***

" Now this is art," Jo smiled as they entered a more secluded area of the gallery, so secluded that they were the only ones there. Completely, and utterly alone. " See look at this one," She enthusiastically rushed over to a sunset painting, light cascading along the the painting hills of what Jo called paradise " See the way the colours perfectly blend into one another, yellow to orange to pink to purple then blue. All those different colours, but they somehow just make sense. Papa had this one specially painted for mama."

" You always did prefer sunsets to sunrises," Collin said, stepping beside her " Remember the ones at Aubrey Hall? How we'd sneak out to watch it from Morgan's hill!"

" How could I forget!" Jo beamed, and turned her head to face Collin " I lived for those moments before-" Jo quickly bit her tongue, the reason why they stopped having those moments floated in the air... the kiss.

The silence was uncomfortable, but comfortable at the same time. Jo turned her focus back onto the painting, studying the brush strokes and the way the light hit the trees so delicately, like every colour was meant to be there. Collin on the other hand was more focused on Jo than the picture before them, and he reminded himself on how much he missed seeing the signature light pink that she wore.

He couldn't help himself, he had to break this ungodly silence before he let his feelings slip through his mouth.

" Do you really regret what happened so deeply?" Collin said, refusing to look away from the painting. Jo's breath caught in her throat. Never once it was mentioned, but now. Alone and consumed with their own thoughts and feelings, he had decided to bring it up. Acting oblivious was the only way Jo saw the conversation ending as quickly as it started.

" I do not know what you mean Col-"

" Please don't," Collin sighed, he turned his full body to face her as she stood stiff " I'm asking you, no imploring you to give me an answer I've if it's just-"

" No," Collin paused at her word, even Jo was shocked at what she said but she quickly eased into it " I do not regret it if I'm being truthful Collin."

Collins heart was hammering in his chest, what he was hearing sounded like something out of his dreams. This time he really couldn't control him self, he slowly reached his hand out and cupped her face. Instantly they both felt at ease, as if his hand was perfectly designed just to cup her cheek.

Collin stepped forward, so his arm wasn't stretched and so Jo could feel his breath on her face and smell his intoxicating sent as she looked up at him.

" Truly?" Collin whispered, it was now Jo's turn for her heart to hammer.

" Truly." She whispered back. Collin felt his head dip down and his other hand travelling to the nook of her back, shortening the gap between them. If Collin desired to kiss her in that moment, Jo wouldn't be mad, she's embrace in whole heartedly and deal with the consequences later.

" Josephine." Collin said, sending vibrations throughout her body to the tips of her toes.

" Collin." Jo purred, the gap becoming shorter and their lips getting closer and closer slightly brushing against one another until-

" Oh my goodness!" The two jumped back, feeling their hearts drop if anyone had found them in this position Jo's reputation would be destroyed. But no one was there.

" Who was that?" Collin said, looking wildly around the Hydeton family gallery.

" I think it may have been outside." Jo hopefully said, they looked at each and quickly walked out into the main art gallery to see a crowd forming in the centre. By coincidence Daphne and Simon had just walked out of his gallery.

" Oh! Jo! Collin!" Daphne said, surprised as if they was not meant to be in this part of the gallery.

" Daph! Simon!" Jo said, eyes wide and trying to distance the space between herself and Collin ( an action that Daphne unfortunately noticed).

" Sister." Collin said, nodding at his sister then greeting Simon in the same manner.

" Do you know what has happened?" Daphne said, looking from Jo to Collin suspiciously while Collin did the same for her and Simon.

" As much as you I suppose." Jo smiled bashfully. Jo was never bashful. Daphne squinted her eyes wearily at her dearest friend and at her older brother, but thought nothing more of it as she smiled then hooked her arm around Jo's.

" Let's see what all the fuss is about then." Daphne smiled, and pulled Jo off towards the centre of the crowd where there was a slight opening ( Collin and Simon followed closely behind them). Cressida was on the floor, her mother fanning her rapidly and poor Prince Friedrich ( the newest addition to the season and hopeful bachelors, that the queen urged in Daphne's and Jo's direction) was there holding her.

" What has happened?" Jo said to Philippa Featherington.

" Cressida swooned." She said, unamused at the scene.

" And Prince Friedrich caught her." Prudence Featherington added, more intrigued. Prince Friedrich, was now fanning Cressida was she acted to be weak, casting a helpless hand over her face.

" I dare say it was the most romantic thing I've ever seen." Philippa said, now gazing at the couple.

" If that is the most romantic thing she'd ever seen, I dread to think where a proposal would be on that scale." Collin leaned forward and whispered in Jo's ear making her smile.

" Right next to Prince Friedrich proposing to Cressida I believe." Jo whispered back.

" Or Prince Friedrich galloping the forrest with those women nude." Collin replied, a giggle snuck past Jo's lips and a snicker from Collins just as Prince Friedrich looked up at Daphne to see her snickering at something Simon had just said.

" Now wouldn't that be a sight?" Jo whispered.

" I can think of others more appealing." Collin whispered back, sending chills running down Jo's back. Oh what was she in for?