Chapter 31

" No."

" I-I beg your pardon?" Lord Dane's face falters, from the large smile he was earlier portraying.

" I'm sorry my Lord-"

" Arthur." He strained.

" I'm sorry, Arthur but I cannot in good mind accept your proposal."

" But I-I don't understand." He rose from his kneeling position, ring still tightly pressed against his fingers.

" Neither do I to be honest." Jo whispered to herself, rolling her eyes at her decision.

" Why do you refuse?!" Arthur's voice was strong, and persistent, which made Jo jump slightly at the brassiness of it all.

" For one foolish reason I am afraid," Jo sighed " I do not love you."

" Love?" Lord Dane's face was emotionless " Love?!" He said, a vain in his head starting to appear " What does lOvE have to do with marriage?!" He yelled.

" Love is everything?"  Jo's eyebrows furrowed, she didn't recognise the man that was now stood before her. Lord Dane wasn't perfect, he sure had is flaw's around his opinions on marriage, but he wasn't like... this! " If not love or-or affection for one another, what legs can a healthy marriage stand on?"

" Ha!" Lord Dane said, as he forcefully shoved the ring into his blazer pocket and walked over to where a tray of alcohol was being presented and poured himself a cup " If I did not think you naive before, I sure do think it now." He took a quick swig of the drink in his hand and quickly began to pour himself another.

" You-you are angry, I see that now, I shall leave." Jo tried to make a quick exit for the door, but Lord Dane quickly beat her to it.

" No, no. I am not angry Josephine," He said, walking menacingly towards her, causing her to take backwards steps away from him " I am enraged, you really expect me to think that all this time courting you, wooing you, bringing you blasted flowers and dancing with you at these maddening events was all for nothing?!"

" I am sorry Arthur I truly am, but I cannot force feelings for you I do not have." Jo felt timid. Small. As she backed away from him, till her back had reached one of the grand book cases.

" Do not give me that bollocks Josephine!" He punched a book that was beside the side of her head, and she jumped. She began to shake furiously and turned her head so her couldn't see the tears beginning to form. " Now you are going to tell me the real reason why you refuse me, or I am going to have to force it out of you."

" LEAVE HER ALONE YOU BASTARD!" Someone gripped Lord Dane by the shoulders and slammed him away from Josephine onto another bookcase, so a few books fell onto the floor.

Jo was that focus on Lord Dane, and his threats that she didn't hear the door open and quickly close behind her saviour.

Still facing away from the action, Jo slowly and shakily turned her head towards the bookcase  where Lord Dane was pinned up against. A rush of safety swarmed over her, she was saved... and by Collin unsurprisingly. Collin was furious, his face was red and he was heaving quickly with the look of pure hatred in his eyes.

He had Lord Dane gripped by the collar and forcefully against the bookcase, he held him so tightly his fingers had turned pure white.

" Mr Bridgerton," Lord Dane spat " What a surprise you came to the rescue... why it is not a surprise at all is it Josephine?"

" Do not speak her name!" He slammed him again forcefully, knocking a few more books the their shelves. But instead of a look a hurt panning itself across Lord Danes face, the look of realisation took its place instead.