Chapter 9

After 10 short boring conversations with the suitors, about what their hobbies and how they spent their time Jo had felt they had all rehearsed the same thing.

" Antonyy." Jo groaned, as she made her way towards him.

" What is wrong?" Anthony said, tilting his head slightly.

" Almost all the men I have spoken to are as dull as the sky on a gloomy day!" Jo said, rubbing her face.

" Don't worry Jo, I'm sure you'll find someone that will make you feel something of the sort." Anthony said.

" I believe I have actually." Jo said, smiling to herself.

" Oh? And who may that be?" Anthony said, smiling at her.

" Lord Dane." Jo said.

" Lord Dane," Anthony said thoughtful " Soon to be Earl correct?"

" Correct." Jo said.

" Well I haven't met him personally, but from what I've heard he appears to be a kind gentleman." Anthony said smiling.

" Well that's-" Jo began.

" Is that Basset?!" Anthony said, looking over the crowd of people.

" Who or what is a Basset?" Jo said, looking over in the direction Anthony.

" Come you must meet him Jo!" Anthony said, grabbing Jo's hand and pulling her off into the crowd, which did give them a few odd looks here and there " Basset!" Antony called out, and a man that made Jo absolutely beam with joy faced them. It was Simon, her Simon.

During the summers that her Aunt would take her away for lady's training wasn't all ' lady' as the Bridgerton's had thought. Never once did they question how Jo had learned to climb a tree, or had seemed to get even better at fencing, riding and learned a bit how to box ( which was most unlady like) when she returned, well it was all because Simon. Simon was like an older brother to Jo, the same way Antony was like an older brother to her, but Simon was someone who Jo could mess around with and sneak to the kitchens with unlike Antony. Her summers were filled with complete joy and laughter because of Simon, however she had not seen him in two years due to her becoming of age and no longer needed training.

" Basset!" Anthony called again, as they became even closer to Simon and it appeared Daphne was with him.

" Bridgerton!" Simon said, clasping Antonys hand and had only realised Jo was there after looking over his shoulder " Jo!"

" Simon!" Jo beamed, and stepped forward to jump into his arms ( and he seemed ready to catch her) until she remembered they were in public " I would give you the greatest hug in the world right now if there was no one else here!"

" And as would I!" Simon said, smiling just as brightly as Jo " It has been so long!"

" Too long, I can't believe it's taken us a formal event to finally meet again!" Jo said, excitedly grabbing his arms with both of her hands.

" I must say this ball wasn't the only reason why we've met today, but your aunts!" Simon said, grabbing her arms as well.

" So you are the guest that I would be most pleased on seeing, it all makes sense now!" Jo said, thinking back to her father's words.

" I'm sorry but how do you know each other?" Daphne said, stepping forward slightly making Simons smile dull slightly.

" Well this is whom I've been seeing on the summers with my aunt!" Jo said, smiling at Daphne and letting go of his arms and stood increasingly close to " How you think I'm able to beet both Antony and Benedict at the same time in fencing, it is all due to this fool I've dropped on their arse one to many times then he'd like to admit."

" Well don't act like I haven't beaten you in fencing, one to many time you'd like to admit." Simon said, smiling down at Jo with complete happiness in his eyes.

" I heard about your father," Antony said, after a few seconds of silence had passed " I'm deeply sorry."

" It's-" Simon began.

" Deuce take it, you are no longer Basset!" Antony said, realisation setting in his face.

" I shall-" Simon began again.

" Hastings! The Duke of Hastings, now known for evermore." Antony smiled.

" The Duke of Hastings is it!" Daphne spoke up, making Simon smile once again dull, and Daphne set him a unmoved look at this second glare.

" Right, Hastings this is my sister." Antony said, point to Daphne.

" Your sister?" Simon said, taken aback.

" Yes, and she is also my dearest friend," Jo said, smiling at Daphne and she returned the smile " You remember me telling you about her all those summers right?"

" Oh yes!" Simon said, furrowing his eyebrows trying to think back " How could I have forgotten."

" Daphne, Hastings and I knew each other from our days at Oxford," Antony said, looking at Simon " Days, we shall not soon forget." He smiled.

" Yes," Daphne said, looking at Simon " As I am well aware of the company you keep brother I am certain your days with His Grace were civilised, indeed." She cocked her head slightly and raised her eyebrows, making Jo snicker and Simon study her shortly.

" Hastings, we shall need to get together probably," Anthony said, turning Simons attention back on him " I expect to see you at our club then?"

" Indeed," Simon said " Evening Bridgerton," he bowed his head slightly in Antony's direction " Miss Bridgerton." he then bowed in Daphne's direction.

" Are you coming Jo?" Antony said, as Daphne placed her hand on his arm.

" I would like to catch up with Simon more!" Jo smiled " I shall see you after my calls?" She said to Daphne, and she gave a single nod " Now where were we?" Jo said, turning around to Simon with a smirk.

" I believe that we were going to reminisce on the summers we spent together yes?" Simon said, raising an eyebrow.

" Why yes your Grace I believe we were," Jo said, making Simon roll his eyes at the formality " But before we do I must invite you to our home tomorrow night, around seven for dinner? and me and my papa won't take no for an answer."

" I wouldn't dream on rejecting your invitation Lady Courtesy, I know how stubborn you can be with these things," Simon smiled, this time making Jo roll her eyes " Then do not call me your Grace if you do not wish to be called Lady Courtesy." He folded his arms.

" Fine," Jo said, rolling her eyes once again " I don't wish to make the Duke mad, or he will leave me and not make the other men fear competition."

" Are you using me miss Hydeton?" Simon said, leaning in slightly and raising his eyebrow.

" Were you not the one making me go up to a certain young girl you had taken a fancy to, and made me tell her that ' my brother thinks you are the most beautiful girl he had ever seen' when I was seven and you were seventeen?" Jo said, raising an eyebrow as well. Both of them laughed and reminisced more on their summers together until he was ready to go ( as he never really like these social events), then Jo dance with Collin as the ball was coming to a close but not with the same emotions and laughter as last time.

The two of them were both feeling strange emotions that night, Jo due to the three jolts she had felt, and Collin due to the multiple ones he had felt with Jo had danced and laughed with other men. Jo and her father went home that night both feeling exited on what tomorrow would bring ( and Jo had also gotten the secret sip of Benedict's wine around the corner and under the stairs before she left.)