Chapter 22

" Your attentions seem to be elsewhere Josephine," Arthur said, as they strolled through park with Jo's father following closely behind " Is anything the matter?"

" No!" Jo said, snapping her head back in his direction " Nothing at all Arthur, just a tiresome night that is all." Tiresome indeed it was, Jo spent the whole night pondering Collins words the previous night ' You are the only reason that I attend'. What did he mean by that? How did he want Jo to respond?

" Understandable Josephine," Arthur nodded " I do fear that I didn't keep you on your feet all night, I just couldn't help but hold the conversation on family, from what I remember you'd like a big one one day correct?"

" Oh yes," Jo said, once again having to pull away from the thoughts of Collin Bridgerton that polluted her mind " Even though I am an only child it never did feel like it growing up," She laughed " I had the company of the Bridgerton's to thank for that."

" You are very close with the Bridgerton's aren't you?" Arthur said, slightly tense in his words.

" They were part of my upbringing and I spend most of my company with them, so yes. My papa and I do enjoy their busy company," Jo smiled, and Arthur's mouth pressed into a thin line " What about you my Lord? we did not converse your future."

" Oh well, one is enough for me all due to my first child is a suitable heir of course, I've never really desired for a large family." Arthur said, nodding to a Lord that had walked by.

" Don't you fear the child will be lonely?" Jo said looking up at him, a confused expression painted across her face.

" Well I was an only child myself growing up the the country side and I never desire a sibling! So why would my own offspring?"

" You do realise Arthur that your child may not have the same thoughts as you do? Or your wife for that matter!" She laughed slightly, but was met by a serious expression from the Lord.

" Well that is no concern of mine is it? I want one heir and I believe that should be enough for myself and my wife." Arthur said, and awkwardness surrounded the two like the plague.

***

" How was your walk this morning?" Collin said, as he and Jo browsed the macaroons the cook had made for the Bridgerton's in the morning room.

" Jealousy is not a good look on you Collin." Jo sang as she took one of the macaroons in one hand and a freshly poured tea in the other and sat down with Collin following closely behind her.

" No need to be jealous when something obviously went wrong." Collin said, taking a sip from his tea.

" I have no idea what you are inferring." Jo said, taking a lady like bite of the macaroon.

" I am inferring that Lord Dane might not be so perfect as he may seem," He said, raising an eyebrow and Jo's confidence dropped for a moment " Come on little dove, tell me what's the matter." Collin whispered and leaned in slightly, Jo quickly turned her head breathlessly at the mention of the nickname. In that moment the closeness of the two didn't bother her, she felt comfortable and at ease ( way more comfortable than she was with any man that presented themselves to her). And right there she knew she could tell this man anything that came to her mind.

" Lord Dane... Arthur believes that his wife should be satisfied with whatever he deems right." Jo said, putting her tea down on the table next to the chair and Collin followed the same action not once taking his eyes off of her.

" What do you mean?" Collins eyebrows furrowed. Jo bit her lip, strongly debating if she should mention the subject of children that Jo and Lord Dane were on.