Chapter 7

" You are such a pain Collin!" Jo whispered angrily, as they got into their places.

" I was saving you!" Collin said, as the music began to play and Collin had placed his hand on Jo's upper back, making her lips part slightly.

" From what, a lovely dance with a charming man?" Jo said, rolling her eyes as she and Collin began to dance together.

" More like a dowry chaser!" Collin said, as they broke apart and glided through other dancers ( the men giving Jo bright kind smiles) before coming back together.

" Oh!" Jo said, looking over to Lord Hughes who gave her a smile, before looking back at Collin " I did not know."

" I wouldn't have thought so," Colin said, giving Jo a half sided smile " And nor did your father, so I shall notify him of every unworthy man that shall try to peruse you this season."

" Unworthy?" Jo said, raising an eyebrow " Is that a tinge of protectiveness in you voice Collin?"

" Do be quite," Collin smiled, as they once again came back together and Jo placed her gloved hand onto Collin's as they started to slowly spin in a circle " Don't make me take back this kind act!"

" You wouldn't dare!" Jo said, giving him a cheeky smile as they changed hands and circled in the other direction.

" Oh I shall!" Collin said, smiling down brightly at Jo. The two remained deadly eye contact, even when they had separated to glide between the other dancers ( this time, Jo not fully realising the men's stares) until they came back together and ended up bursting into laughter making Jo make that god awful snort that she did not care for, especially in public.

" Look at what you made me do!" Jo said, covering her nose and mouth with one hand, while the other was pressed against Collins as they began to circle again.

" I did not force you to make that sound!" Collin laughed " Be careful, others might not find it as pleasant as I do."

" That noise is not pleasant Collin," Jo said, switching hands again " Do not tell lies."

" Well believe what you would like to believe," Collin said, as his hand was back on Jo's upper back and he bowed her slightly " But I find it pleasant." The two had then gone back to gliding through the other dancers yet again, however instead of acknowledging the men's smiles she received her eyes landed on a certain Featherington... Penelope Featherington. Jo watched as Penelope's eyes followed Collin with hope, and Jo felt a jolt in her stomach that she had never felt before. Penelope liked Collin.

Though Jo and Penelope weren't that close, she had always made time for short conversation between the to in order to catch up, as Penelope was over almost every day at the Bridgerton's when they were younger.

" Well believe what you want to believe," Jo said to Collin as they came back together and circled each other before spinning around " But I believe that Pen has a crush on you."

" Penelope?" Collin said, looking around the room quickly before he had found Penelope " That is absurd!"

" Just a thought." Jo said, shrugging her shoulders. A few moments passed by dancing and laughing with one another before another eye turner walked into the room. Jo was very temped to excuse herself from the dance and join Daphne, Violet and Antony, but Collin was the only one keeping her engaged as his hand gripped onto hers and whispered jokes into her ear.

" Ahh it appears Lord Ambrose has already swarmed to Daph it seems!" Collin whispered, as his hand was still on hers " These gentlemen sure are desperate this year I must say." He said, making Jo giggle and the other man that was holding onto Jo's hand gave the two spectacle looks.