Chapter 14

" You seemed to enjoy your little dance." Collin whispered as he came up from behind her when people were gathering due

" Why wouldn't I," Jo whispered, turning around to look at him " He's a nice man, pleasant when spending my time with him." She then looked over at him and he waved and she returned a flirty one back.

" Yeah compared to those baboons that surround around you." Collin said, rolling his eyes.

" Nope, he's just a very nice person, one that is nice company." Jo whispered, and she looked around wondering what was about to happen.

" Don't tell me you're considering him as a husband?!" Collin said, grabbing her arm and turning her slightly.

" We'll he's the only one I'm considering if I am honest!" Jo whispered shouted " Now I suggest you remove your hand before someone draws attention to us!" And Collin removed his hand, slightly sulky.

" The only one." Collin said, not meeting her eyes.

" Well who else am I supposed to consider," Jo slumped slightly " There's no one else who has officially presented themselves that I have any interest in." She didn't know what she was implying, but it was something.

" It is with great privilege, I present Vauxhall's newest spectacle of illumination," A man walked over and then lit something that started to sparkle " Feast your eyes above," the sparkle then shot up the pole " And allow all that is radiant to overwhelm you!" The glass above them then lit up one by one and the crowd gasped including Jo and Collin " Wonderful light!"

" Now isn't that bazaar!" Collin smiled as she looked up.

" Isn't it!" Jo smiled brightly.

" What a beautiful sight," Lord Dane said walking up towards Jo and earning a scowl from Collin " However not as beautiful as the person looking at them."

" Lord Dane you flatter me." Jo smiled.

" Lickfinger." Collin whispered, not being heard by Lord Dane but definitely by Jo who elbowed him without drawing attention.

" I came over to ask if you'd like to join me in the gardens, with a chaperone of course." Lord Dane said, eyeing Collin.

" Oh yes that would be most pleasant, let me ask Vi- I mean Lady Bridgerton."

" Of course let me escort you." Lord Dane said, holding out his arm and Jo took it, and they both walked through the crowd with everyone's eyes on them, including the burning gaze of Collin Bridgerton.

***

" So what urged you to come for a walk in the gardens Lord Dane?" Jo said as they walked quite close together as Violet and her father walked behind them.

" Please, I think we've come to a point where the formalities are unnecessary, please call me Arthur." He smiled down at her, his hair now looking pure black with lack of light.

" In that case call me Jo." She smiled back.

" Jo?" Arthur said raising his eyebrow.

" It's short for Josephine." Jo laughed, and Arthur chuckled.

" Jo it is," He smiled. The two walked in silence looking at the flowers as they walked " I don't mean to sound so forward but it appears as Collin Bridgerton has is eye on you, is there some competition I should be worried about?"

" Oh gosh no, Collin is just wary of the men that approach me that is all, we have know each other since we were children."

" I do not believe that is the case Jo." Arthur said, his head hung slightly.

" Pardon?" Jo said, her head cocking to the side slightly.

" Ah do not mind me," Arthur said, waving his hand dismissively " Just my mind pacing that is all, I hear you have a country home? What is that like?"

" Oh you mean the one in Wexstone! Why it's positively beautiful-" The two talked about anything that came to mind both laughing uncontrollably until they finally came to the edge of the garden.

" We'll I guess this is it," Arthur said, guiding her out of the garden and back to the swarm of people that were all look at them " It was a pleasure talking with you Jo." He then bowed.

" And to you Arthur," Jo curtsied " I hope we can do it again some time."

" I'm most certain we will." Arthur smirked. Before the two even got the chance to go their separate ways they crow split at the other end of the venue. Both Jo and Arthur stood up on their toes to see what was happening, but as fireworks started to explode and before Jo had gotten the chance to see the two faces of the heads that were moving, her hand was taken and suddenly she was being pulled to the dance floor.

From no surprise at all it was Collin that was pulling her, with a very determined look on his face.

" Collin what are you doing?!" Jo said, once she had caught up with his footing.

" Getting my dance." Collin said, still holding onto her hand as they neared the dance floor, but also the two mysterious people. But as Collin and Jo walked closer, so did other people and soon Daphne and Simon, and Jo and Collin her face to face both holding onto the others hand. Daphne's head looked down at Collins and Jo's link hand and Jo did the same for Daphne and Simon. Jo was beyond confused, just a week ago the two were biting each other's heads at dinner and now they were holding hands. Something was definitely up between the two, but now was not the time for that as now everyone's eyes were on the both of them. Simon gave a small nod at the two before taking a step forward with Daphne and Collin and Jo followed behind them.

This dance felt different with Collin. The way he lead her to the floor and he bowed and she curtsied. The way he held her hand when she raised it the moved to the side. The way he looked into her eyes when they moved side to said. And the way he held onto her upper back when he leaned her back, his eyes flickered to her lips now and again. The whole dance the two felt as if they couldn't take their eyes off of each other, and the crowd couldn't stop watching between Jo and Collin, and Daphne and Simon. The final lean of the dance almost set the both of them off, and the tension was building at the second. Both of their lips parted and they were closer than ever when Collin had lifted Jo back up, and the two felt that if they didn't leave the floor now something incredibly awful would happen.

" Jo-" Collin whispered, his eyes flickered between her eyes and lips.

" Good dance Collin, I'll shall see you tomorrow." Jo said, taking a step back and curtsying.

" Jo!" Collin said, taking a step forward.

" I feel quite tired, good bye Collin." And Jo quickly made her way off the floor leaving a struck Collin standing at a lost for words.