Chapter 37

Jo's heart was hammering in her chest as she snuck out of her home, (wearing her nightgown and a cloak) and snuck through the back gate of the Bridgerton's to enter the large garden at the back of their home. She slowly closed the gate behind her, trying to not make a noise as she did so and sighed in relief at the fact that the gate did not squeak.

Slowly she walked deeper into the Bridgerton garden, admiring the flowers of the night as she did so, the crisp air caressing her cheeks lovingly as she walked closer to the swings, located a little way away from the Bridgerton home.

" I knew you'd come." Collin smiled, quickly standing up from one of the swings as he saw her dark outline become more visible in the moonlight.

" Well I'm here, now what do you want?" Jo said harshly, crossing her arms and turning up her head proudly at him, determined not to let her guard back down after crying over him earlier that day. Collins smile faltered slightly at her harshness, but quickly returned to his calming smile.

" Come... sit." Collin smiled, motioning over towards the second swing as he sat back down on the swing that he was on.

Jo was weary about this proposal. The last time the two were here... alone, didn't really end so well, him kissing her and her running away from him when they were kids.

" Please Jo." Collin urged, seeing her wariness " I promise that nothing will happen..." He smiled warmly " Unless you ask for it." He smirked mischievously. Jo thanked herself that it was dark, otherwise Collin would've surly seen the deep red blush spreading across her face as he spoke, and she did not want to give him the satisfaction right now.

" Fine," Jo glared at Collin, and unfolded her arms " I'll sit if you promise nothing will happen."

" Now you know I cannot do that Jo." Collin smirked, rubbing the back of his neck.

" Collin, promise." Jo said more sternly, pouting slightly as she said so.

" You are acting like a child Jo, come sit." Collin groaned, rolling his head and eyes frustratedly.

" Then I am going home." Jo huffed, and turned to walk away.

" Fine!" Collin said urgently, standing up from the swing " I promise nothing will happen, better now?" He said reluctantly.

" Better now," Jo nodded, and walked over to him and sat down on the other swing as he sat back down " And I am not acting like a child, I am acting like a lady wanting to protect her virtue." She stated firmly, with a sharp nod as she looked straight ahead.

" So you believe something will happen between us that will disrupt your virtue?" Collin teased, as he faced Jo will that all too knowing cheeky grin.

" Oh shush," Jo said, and quickly turned her head away from him " What is it that you wanted me for anyway?" She looked back at him, and saw that he was looking at her with a strange desire look in his eyes, before he quickly turned away himself and breathed out slowly.

" There is nothing happening between Miss Thompson and I?" Collin quickly stated after a moment of silence between the two.

" And why would you think I would be bothered if there was something going on between the two of you?" Jo said, her head raised slightly in pride. However on the inside, she felt a wave of relief overcome her at the fact that there wasn't anything going on between the two.

" There's still a chance." Jo thought, and tried to hide the smile from her face.

Collin looked at Jo with the look ' are you serious'  plastered across it " Are you quite serious? Jo, you practically ran away when you saw us in the library together, and you've been ignoring me the rest of the day!" Collin sighed in frustration.