Chapter 32

Jo's stomach was in a stitch for laughing that much, all the way back from the ball back to the Bridgerton home, and especially when Violet. Bridgerton almost fell out of the carriage by missing the step down to the footman had to catch her.

" I tell you!" Violet said, as the three of them laughed their way into the Bridgerton house " I am not drunk!"

" Of course not!" Collin laughed " You are clearly sober!" They all laughed an airless breath again, and Collin helped Violet onto the first step to their grand staircase.

" And I'm sober enough to know when you're being impertinent," Violet said, cupping the side of Collins face lovingly " Goodnight dear."

" Goodnight mother." Collin smiled.

" Josephine darling, are you not coming to bed?" Violet said, holding onto the railing for support.

" In a moment Violet, I erm-" Jo said trying to come up with an excuse to stay a bit longer with Collin " I believe I left my fan in the carriage and I need to get it."

" Oh, okay dear," Violet smiled " Goodnight!" She said as she climbed the stairs.

" So." Collin said, turning to face Jo.

" So." Jo smiled up at him.

" Can I ask you something?" Collin said, nervously. Jo had hardly ever seen Colin nervous " As family friends of course." Jo winced slightly, but again she quickly reminded herself that this was her doing.

" Always." Jo smiled.

" May I ask, why did you refuse Lord Dane?" Collins eyebrows furrowed " He was a worthy suitor, besides the anger management issues." Jo chuckled.

" Well, there is a reason," Jo said, looking nervously around the Bridgerton home " A reason I wasn't fully going to reveal to Lord Dane." She then looked up at him, through her long thick eyelashes. Collin then plucked one of the fallen lavender petals from Jo's hair, and held it between his fingers as he gazed down at her, his eyes darkening.

" Which is?" He said, and Jo could feel the two getting closer and closer and closer. Until however Collin looked up and jumped at the sight of his two older brothers looking at him through a open door to Anthony's study.

" Come here." Anthony whispered as his head made a movement for Collin to come.

" Good god, did someone die?" Collin sighed as he rolled his eyes.

" Not yet." Benedict said, and Anthony shoved him slightly.

" Just come!" Anthony said more urgently " Jo, go to bed."

" You cannot tell me what to do!" Jo said, putting her hands on her hips.

" You are in my house therefore I can." Anthony said.

" And when has that ever made me listen to you in the last nine years?" Jo said rolling her eyes.

" She does have a point there." Benedict pointed out, and Anthony made another movement as if he was going to push Benedict again making him jump back.

" Bed!" Anthony said more sternly.

" Fine! But not because you told me to, I want to see Daphne anyway!" Jo pointedly said, and ran upstairs.

" What were you doing, just then?" Benedict said,  referring Colin and Jo as he walked past him into the study.

" Non of your business." Collin replied.

" Well I'm going to make it my business brother!" Benedict said.

***

" Daphne!" Jo exclaimed as she entered Daphnes room to see her crying on her bed " Whatever is the matter?!"