Chapter 12: FIRST DANCE

12. FIRST DANCE 12

***
So Gio and I are married now by the law of the fair and everyone in the school thinks I'm his girlfriend. That's just nice. Who would think that I would reject him? Almost all of the girls here have a crush on Gio and they would think I'm a total jerk if I turned him down. Aside from that, what would Dan think now?

"Congrats!" D enthusiastically greeted me.
"D?"
"You're married, I should at least congratulate you!" D stated.
"If you think I forgot Dan because I am liked by the most good looking guy in school, you're wrong! Nothing has changed!" I explained.
"Well, let me correct you. All has changed, except your feelings."

I walked out, I can't take it anymore. I can't believe that the last person I wanna talk with right now was my best friend.

"Angel, you look disappointed, are you alright?" Jessie asked me.
"I think I should go home now, see you on Monday Jess!" I packed up my things and carried my bag. This week is not worth remembering.
"Monday? What do you mean Monday? You're not going to the dance tomorrow?"
"No, and I never did!"
"Why?"
"Well, I guess I'm not interested at all."
"You should come! Please come, Angel!"

D asked me a thousand times to go with her to the dance for the last consecutive years but I still didn't. What makes you think that I'll go with you?

"I'm sorry Jessie! I'm not really good at socializing and that kind of stuff. You should enjoy your night." I explained
"How am I going to enjoy it if I have nothing to spend it with? You see, Mina and Tricia, they don't want me anymore. They hate me. Dan, he is acting like a total stranger and I don't know why. You're the only one I got."

I ruined her life.

"Let's go! Both of us! Tomorrow night!" I encouraged her.
"Really? Thanks so much! You'll never regret it. I promise. There will be games and cool stuff."
"Right!"

I went home and asked my mom for some recommendations about what I should wear to a dance. Well, it's not prom, so there's no need to wear a gown. A cute dress and some high heels would just be needed.
She suggested the light blue dress that I have and I agreed. Well I always trust her, she really knows what's best for me.

Tonight's the night and I kinda feel nervous. It's my first time after all.
I wear the dress that mom suggested but added some long sleeves because I find it too revealing. I put on my make up and curled my hair for the first time. My Dad sent me to school and promised to pick me up later at 12. I feel like Cinderella now.

"Have fun Angel! You look absolutely beautiful tonight."
"Thanks Dad!"

I waved at him and saw Jessie waiting for me outside. She's really a sweet friend.

"Angel, Look at you, you are gorgeous!"
"Who's talking, you're prettier."

She wore a mini black tube dress and a purple jacket. She's perfect.

"Come on, let's go inside!" Jessie commanded.

The council is in charge of the dance and they did a good job. The school is so pretty. There were lights and decorations everywhere. I love it!
The first thing on the program was the opening remarks of the principal. The second was the announcement of the winners of the fair.

The second place went to us, the Junior Red. The first place was given to the Yellow and this year's winner was Dan's section. It's so obvious and they deserve it. Looks like we beat the seniors this time.

"Everyone! Are you ready?" the student council president finally asked everyone.
"What's going on?" I asked Jessie.
"The game doesn't end in the booths Angel. Every year, all our names were written on a small piece of paper and were placed inside a big bowl. Someone on the student council would pick 5 pairs of students who would have the first dance of the party. Excited is it?"
"Yeah! I just hope I'm not included in there. Have you been picked before?"
"Yeah, when I was in first year. I was chosen to dance with Dan. That was the night I fell for him."
"I see!" I should not ask.
"Are you excited?" the president asked us.
"YEAH!!" Everyone screamed.

The first pair was a senior girl and a freshman boy. That was odd. The second pair was D and David. Wow. They're a pair! David would be perfect for D. He's smart     and athletic. The third pair were both sophomores. Then the president started to pick the fourth  pair. He picked Gio and all of a sudden everyone was staring at me.

"Really! Do you really have to do that?"
"Calm down Angel!" Jessie reminded me.

And the draw continued. Luckily, a sophomore girl was picked as her partner. The girl who shouted I'm a flirt two days ago. Lucky her! And the final pair was just needed to start the dance that all were waiting for.  The council president started to put his hands on the bowl of names again, and of all the names written in small papers, I was the final girl who was called.

"This is not happening! I can't have my first dance ever with a complete stranger."
"It will be okay!" Jessie comforted me.

He continued and put his hands on the bowl. The final name was drawn. The name of the boy whom I'm going to have my first dance with is written on that piece of paper. And the name of the boy was Daniel Park.

"You see? It's okay. You know Dan right. Your first dance is with him. It's fine." Jessie comforted me again, but I think I should be the one who should comfort her now.
"But how about you?"
"Don't you worry about me. I'm just gonna go somewhere else until the dance is over." she smiled.

And all the names were called again to go to the center and dance. I can't believe I'm going to dance with him. It's a dream come true. He held my hand and we both danced silently while the sweet music was playing in the background.

"I'm dancing with a married woman!" he teased me.
"Stop it will you. It's not funny!"
"I thought you didn't like him!"
"That's true!"
"Then why did you marry him?"
"Do I have to explain everything to you, Daniel Esguerra?"

Then, silence came again. It continued until the dance was over. This night was the happiest moment of my life, but I knew that it would be over after that song. I snapped out from thinking, let go of him first and started to find Jessie. I searched in every corner of the school but I didn't find her. I got tired and stopped at the gym for a while.

Did she get angry with me? I thought it was okay.

I was about to sit at the bleachers when I found out that I'm not alone, there's someone else here. I looked closer, and was shocked to see who the other people were. I quickly ran out of the gym and hurried back to the party. I ran in the dark as far as I could until I accidentally bumped into someone else. It's Dan.

"Hey, what happened to you? You look like a scared girl who just saw a ghost or something."
"I saw worse! I don't know if I... I should tell you, but if I do. You might, you might..."
"Angel, calm down. Tell me."

I caught my breath, inhaled deeply, and confessed to him what I had seen.

"I saw Jessie kissing another man."

***
Who saw that one coming? What do you think will happen next?