Chapter 1: Superman

1. SUPERMAN 1.

What if, I said thank you that day? What if, fear didn't make me hide? What if, I confessed my feelings along time ago? Will it change what we are today? Will it change his feelings towards me? Will he feel the same way? What if...

"Gel! Angel? Are you still listening?" Dianne screamed at me while waving her two hands trying to get my attention.

"Ahh, yeah! Of course." I immediately answered the moment I woke up from my daydreaming habit.

"You're daydreaming again aren't you?"

"What?! No, I'm not. You're so silly D, come on now, break's over let's go back to our class." I defensively answered. She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"God, I can't wait to be a senior, and graduate, and start college as soon as possible". D's wishful thinking.

D and I knew each other ever since we entered high school. It's just that I'm Montecillo, Angela and she's Mendez, Dianne, that's why we were seated alphabetically next to each other and became close friends.

Well I'm not complaining, we do have a lot in common; we're both shy, love reading Mangas, watching Korean dramas, and most importantly, share the love and support for BTS. Of course we don't do all things together, she's the student council's treasurer and a member of the Newspaper club; while I'm in the soccer team. Well, even if she wants to join my team, she couldn't, Dianne has asthma and a little run would make it difficult for her to breath, and there goes her golden attendance. By the way, she's running for valedictorian, that's why attendance is very important for her.

Before reaching our classroom. I asked her...

"D, I'm just asking, do you think, I had a chance to be known here in HS before we graduate"

"Well, I don't know, join a pageant or the dance club. That would send you to fame here instantly. But do you really want to be popular here in St. James? What's the point of being one?"

"Well, You know Dan right? It's been fours years, but I don't think he still doesn't know I exist!" I answered frustratingly.

Oh Dan. I'd been crushing on him ever since I entered highschool. We're in the same year but in a different section. He's in Blue, I'm in Red and her girlfriend is in Yellow. Forget about his girlfriend, let's just talk about him. He's smart, tall and handsome. He's in the basketball team and even in judo. He is the HS vice president and rumored to be this year's "Mr. St. James".

Well it's not because of his looks and his being actively athletic that made me fall for him this badly. He saved my life. Once, during our freshmen years, it was a dark and rainy Friday night when I was about to cross the road when an uncontrolled big truck almost hit me and left me lifeless. The truck was approaching to hit me, I was frozen, shocked, and scared. I couldn't move even if I wanted too. I closed my eyes and accepted my unfortunate faith that evening.

But it didn't happen, because Dan saved me....

He grabbed me as fast as he can, pulled me in his arms, and put me in a safer space.

"Oh my, are you okay? You almost miss your life there!" Dan loudly told me. I didn't answer. I was still in-shocked. "You should be careful next time when you cross roads, especially when it's raining. You seem fine though. It's dark now so you should go home and take a good rest." He then smiled at me and left after that.

Came Monday and it looked like he didn't recognize me at all. That was the end of our meeting yet the start of my hidden feelings for him that still quietly remains until now.

"Dan who? You're Superman, Daniel Esguerra?" D naively asked me. "If you just thanked him the moment you met him that next Monday, you might be close friends or even more than that now" she continued.

"D, it's not that easy. He didn't have an idea that it was me who was saved by him that time. And if I thanked him now, it would be really weird right?"

"Yeah, like super weird. Ahmm Angel, forgive me if I'm about to say this, but, I think you should forget Dan now. As you said, it's been four years, and he already has a girlfriend and she's not just any girl here you know. She's Jessie. The so-called Queen B!"

"D!! You don't need to remind me of that girl, you know? Besides, even though it's been 3, 4, or 5 years I don't think my feelings for him have faded or gone. It becomes stronger, more and more each day. He's my saviour, my superman."

D paused for a minute. "I find you disgusting now. Eww!"

"Hahahaha! You insensitive person! You're really cruel Mendez! But, Am I too mushy??" I teased.

"Well I'm your friend Gel, you know you can tell me anything. You can tell your insensitive, mean and cruel best friend all of those mushy things. Even though you know that I'll just say the worst things about you because it's just so disgusting!"

"Hahahaha. I didn't say you're mean. Oh, I love you D" I said it and hugged her tightly.

"You're really disgusting now! Hahahaha! But I love you too!"

Later that evening when I got home, I found Mom and Dad sitting in the kitchen. They both looked at me a little bit scared and worried. Did something I don't know happened?

"Mom, Dad? What's wrong?" I nervously asked. And the big news just suddenly came out of the air and flew straight in my direction to punch me.

"Mom? Dad? What do you mean? We're migrating?!" I asked my parents, almost crying.

"Angel, you know this thing will happen right?" Mom asked me.

"I know!" I inhaled so I would return to my senses and remain calm. "But I didn't know it would be this soon. I thought you would let me graduate HS here? And it seems that I can't even finish my junior year!!"

"I'm sorry Angel but your Dad was advised to work in Canada earlier. So you and I should also adjust to your father's situation! He already did his best to be not moved overseas. But as you see Angel, bigger opportunities await us there. Your father is just doing this for our family, for you" Mom explained to me.

"Angel. I'm so sorry" Dad told me, almost whispering.

"Oh, Dad! It's not your fault." I hugged him and held my mother's hand tightly. "I just wished I could stay here a little longer"

Oh dear! Oh dear! What should I do now? I'm leaving in 5 months. And as of now nothing good is happening. I must make a plan to change everything before it's too late. I must make a plan.

***

What do you think of this first chapter?? Pls let me know by clicking the comment below. Thank you.