Chapter 7: DIFFERENCES

7. DIFFERENCES 7.

***

I look at the mirror in front of me. What does Jessie have that I don't have? The words that Dan said during our training hurt me a lot. It hurt me so much I cried the whole night.

I scanned my body from head to toe in the mirror. Jessie and I are around the same height. Her hair is long and wavy at the end, her stylist must be really good. I'm good with my straight long hair. We both have a clear and fair complexion. I don't see myself as ugly either. If you remember D asking me to join a pageant, it is not to mock me or joke around at all. It's because I also have a face too, a pretty one, I think. But you know what I don't have? I do not have the confidence and courage that Jessie possesses. I always tend to work with a team and not alone. I'm more of a follower than a leader. Jessie is not afraid to go after what she wants. She may be soft outside but she's hardcore inside. I'm the complete opposite of Jessie.

So now, after knowing and comparing our differences, I came up with one question. Do I stand a chance against Jessie?

I was late again and Ms. Dee asked why. I couldn't tell her that I looked at myself for too long that I forgot. She let me in.

I seated and realized the empty seat beside me. Jessie is absent. I wonder why. Did something happen to her? Is she alright? It really made me worried for real. I know I should not be, but she's really a good friend to me. She's kind, sweet and thoughtful. I can't believe I fell for her too.

Lunch break came and I didn't have anyone to go to. If I ask D, she will surely ignore me. I absent-mindedly walked towards the field and sat at the bleachers. Well, I think it will also be nice to be alone from time to time.

It's been two weeks since the shuffling. Today's the last day of July and starting tomorrow, I only have 4 months left. I haven't talked to Dan since our last heavy conversation. I didn't attend Judo after that and he didn't show up in the meeting after it. I've been back to the hands of Gio since last week and we're having a good time too. He makes me laugh. I'm always happy when we're together. He's a real, handsome and funny friend. I smiled.

"Can I join you?" a guy with a familiar voice asked me from the back. Gio, that guy. He really always surprises me.

"Sure Gio." I turned my head and found Dan. "Dan! I mean Dan."

"Looks like there's something between you and Gio." I don't know if he's joking because he looks kinda offended.

"Of course not! Why are you even here anyway?" I answered defensively.

"Do you want me to leave?"

"No! Just sit!" Why do I always feel that I always lose to Dan every time we talk? He's really good at turning things the way he wanted. He sat beside me.

"So, why are you here?" he asked me again.

"I'm the one who asked you first."

He didn't answer. He just stared at my face again. It made me conscious.

"What? Do I have mud on my face again?"

"Hahaha! No. How come you have a lightskin for a soccer player?"

"You might forget I'm a girl. I take care of myself too."

"I see. So why are you here?" he's not giving up that question. Isn't he?

"Well, your girlfriend is absent so I'm here."

"You're not going to eat because Jessie's absent?" he curiously asked me.

"No. I just don't wanna eat alone. Now answer me. Why are you here?"

"I followed you."

That shocked me.

"Wwwhy?"

"I came here to apologize." Then he handed me the soda can. "I kinda felt that I hurt you the last time we talked so I'm here to say sorry."

Owwww Dan you're so sweet. You're absolutely forgiven now.

"You're apologizing with a soda can?" I joked around.

He smiled. "I couldn't think of anything."

"Well, you could answer me this question. What makes you think that Jessie and I are different?"

Dan paused for a while. "Well, Jessie is a fragile girl. She's not good at any physical type of activities. While you are..." he looked at me again.

"The hard one?" I guessed.

"No, you're the more fragile one."

He surprised me. Again. How well does this guy know me?

"You might be strong outside, but I think inside you're a soft one. You're hiding things all by yourself, everything in your heart, because you're afraid to show it to people."

My tears fell from my eyes all of a sudden.

"How could you say that? We're not even considered friends and you're telling me that?" I screamed. I stand up. If I continue to cry he might think he is right. I better go.

"Don't leave!" he commanded, I obeyed.

"If you leave again. It would be hard to apologize next time. So I apologize now. Again, I'm sorry." he grabbed a white handkerchief from his pocket and wiped my tears with it. I can't speak. I'm sobbing in pain.

"And if you go now crying. People might see and talk about it.'' He handed me his handkerchief this time. "I hope that one day, you will have all the courage to speak what's on your mind, Angel."

He smiled and left.

"Dan, wait! I want to tell you something."

He turned around and waited for me to talk.

"Thank you, for saving me."

Dan's eyes widened. He must have no idea why I'm thanking him after all it's been four years. But he suddenly smiled at me.

"You're welcome. You must still repay me though. Since it was a long time ago, the interest has grown a lot. You must repay me with a good one."

I couldn't help myself. I ran towards him and hugged him. I'd been afraid all this time Dan, I'd been afraid that you forgot everything about it. Thank you so much. Thank you for saying those words. Thank you for remembering that you saved me. Someday! I will also have the courage to tell you how much I love you.

"I will. I promise!"

***

Hey you awesome! Cheers for making this far! I would be really happy if i would know your thoughts about this book. Thanks, and i'll be posting chapter 8 soon.