CHAPTER 13: COMPLICATIONS

13. COMPLICATIONS 13.

***
"We broke up!"

Those were the words that came out of Jessie's mouth the moment I saw her this Monday. And again, it's all my fault.

"Why?" I pretended to ask for an explanation.
"During the dance, Jake kissed me." Jessie explained.
"Jake? Jake Pascual?" I asked. Can I be more obvious than this?
"Oh you know him. He's in Judo too, right?"
"Yeah! Why did he do that? He is Dan's friend!"

The last conversation I had with Jake was with Dan, David and Gio in the gym. He's the funniest person in that group and I can't believe he would do it.

"Jake has been in love with me for the longest time now. Dan knew it too, but he didn't care so much! I didn't expect that would happen. He told me that he needed to speak with me somewhere private and I agreed! We went to the gym and talked about it. He told me that no matter what happened, he would still wait for me. He told me that he loves me so much and that he is the true person that can make me happy. Then he kissed me."
"So did Dan break up with you?"
"Angel, let's stop talking about it. In the next coming days, that news will surely spread in the hallways of our school and I want to be at peace before that happens."
"Are you alright?" She looks normal as before. I expected her to cry when this happened but I didn't see any kind of sadness while we're talking.
"I'm good! More than ever!" She sounded so sarcastic.
"No! You're not Jessie! Don't keep everything by yourself, you have me."

Then Jessie's tears just began to fall from her eyes.

"I'd never been in so much pain before! I'm so hurt!"
"I'm so sorry Jessie!" I sincerely apologise, it's all my fault.

I let her cry on my shoulders for a while until she stopped crying.

"I have to go somewhere."
"But Angel! Class is about to start. If you're late to Ms. Dee's class again, she'll never allow you to enter."
"That's cool! Don't worry!"

Seriously! Sooner or later, my mother will call the school for a drop-out-with-permission request and pull me out of school quickly. I have to find him. I looked for him in their room but he was not there. Where is he?

"Hey!" Gio showed up, and for the first time, in front of me.
"Hey!"
"Aren't you late for your class?"
"But aren't you late for yours too?" I gave him back his question.
"Well I'm not planning to, but it looks like it's not the same for you!"
"Don't worry Gio, I'm fine." I was just about to go but he held my hand and stopped me.
"Wait Angel, just tell me where you're going,"
"I'm going to speak to Dan." I stated.
"About what?"
"About something important."
"Can't something wait for lunch break later?"
"It's really important Gio! I really have to go!" I pleaded.
"Angel, do you like Dan?"

I stopped. Did he notice it? Can't I hide it now? Should I tell him the truth?

"Yes Gio! I have liked him for a very long time. Even before I met you! I'm so sorry Gio. I should have said it before." I explained.

This time, he let go of my hand. He looked so sad and disappointed. But I still went on searching for Dan. I'm sorry Gio, I'll explain everything to you as soon as possible. I promise.

I searched everywhere to find him. I looked inside the training room, the gym and the cafeteria but he was not there. Then, I remembered to check another place, the field. I immediately went there and found him.

"You're skipping class?" I asked him.
"Ask yourself first!" he sounded snobbish.
"You're a part of the student council. You should be a good role model to all the students here, including me."
"You're looking for me are you?" his voice got serious. I hate it when that happens.
"You and Jessie!"
"So, you knew it?" he answered before I was finished talking. Then all the words that I wanted to ask came out of my mouth.
"Did you break up with her? Why did you break up with her? It's just a kiss, can't you forgive her?" I can't believe I'm setting my feelings aside for Jessie, but still I did it. She's my friend now. I'm her true friend now.
"You don't know anything about me and Jessie!" he explained.
"I know! But I was the one who told you about what happened that night! And I feel guilty about it!"
"I told you Angel! Stop interfering and meddling with my relationship with her! It's not your problem!"

Yes, it's not my problem. It's just all my fault! But how about my feelings? Why are you so curious about it?

"Then stop meddling with mine too! You had been asking me about my relationship with Gio. You'd been asking me about the person I like and I don't understand why you are so concerned about it at all. Why Dan? Tell me?" I screamed.
"Angel, I told you before. You and Jessie are not going to be good friends."
"But we are now Dan! I... I don't understand! What's the connection of our friendship with my question?"
"It's just way more difficult now!"
"Difficult for what?"
"It's just, complicated Angel!!" Dan screamed.
"Complicated? You and Jessie, Jessie and Jake, Gio and me. It's just too complicated is it? But what's more complicated for me now is you and me."
"You and me?" he curiously asked.
"I don't know what kind of situation we are in now Dan. I'm Jessie's friend and she's your girlfriend. You are Gio's friend and I'm the girl that he likes. So what makes us now? I really don't understand." I asked him. I know what he is to me, but I don't know what I am to him. And if I told him I like him now, it would just give more problems for us all.

Dan didn't answer me right away. He stared at the field for a long time. I can see him thinking. Seeking the right words to tell me. Soon enough, he stared back and looked into my eyes deeply.

"You and me, we are the complications here!" Dan answered.

***