Chapter 2: JUDO

2. JUDO 2.

***

Let's calculate things here. It's July. I only have 5 months left and we're leaving after Christmas. That means no new year, no valentines, no prom, no final exams and no graduation. I don't even have to study at all because it's all useless. No matter what I do, even if I excel in my studies, it's all going to be worthless. All I have to do is find a way to make my ultimate dream come true.

If I want Dan to notice me, I should make a move now before it's too late. The problem is we're too far away. He's on the top and I'm on the bottom, well...maybe I'm a little bit higher than that, but even though we're still apart. We're even in a different section. If only there's a way that we can be classmates so we could know each other better. But how?

While waiting for our Science teacher, I faced D and began to ask her about it.

"D! Is there a way that our class can be shuffled?" Hoping for a positive answer I crossed my two fingers behind my back and waited for her to face me back.

"We're in the middle of our class year Gel! It's impossible." Then she turned back and returned to reading her Manga while listening to BTS. But I didn't give up. I know she knows something. I just need to act a little.

"I know! I know! Just asking. You don't have to be mean." Judging by my sad expression I know that I finally won when she turned to me again and closed what she's reading. D never closes her Manga and pauses her BTS unless she's finished reading it and when she's done with the entire song, well.. except when there's something important. Turns out, I'm more important, D is a keeper.

She moved closer and whispered "Ahmm... well.. however, I think there is one. You see, I should not talk about this. It's a faculty secret and I only know it because I'm in the council!" Bingo! I knew it! There's a way!

"Dianne! Please!" I pleaded.

"Ugh! Okay! Okay!" She paused for a minute. "You see, if someone created a big commotion in a class. Even if it's only in one section, all the class would be affected by it."

"Wait a minute. I really don't get you. If, for example, there's a big fight that happens in our section, the whole junior class, the Blue, Yellow, and us, in Red will be shuffled. Is that it?"

"Yeah! But why are you asking me about it?... Wait! Are you thinking about shuffling our class?" Yes, D is really smart.

"Well. Yes I am. If it will give me a chance to talk or just meet Dan. I'll do it! D you have to help me!"

"But what if we get separated because of this? Is it okay with you? You should think about it first, Angel."

She doesn't understand me. I'm running out of time.

"No D! I already decided! I'm doing it. Even with or without your help, I'll do it" I frustratedly stand up and leave without hearing what she's about to say. I'm so frustrated that I just want to go alone and breathe.

While walking in the hallway I passed by the sports bulletin board and saw that the Judo club is looking for a new member. And not just a new member but a new "girl" member. This is what I'd been waiting for. This is it! I ran into the judo club as fast as I could but slowed down 3 rooms before it, so I could look relaxed and be able to catch my breath. Finally I reached the door and found Mr. Leo, the Judo club's adviser.

"Sir, I want to join your team."

For my athletic skills and my sporty body built, it is not easy for Mr. Leo to say no to me. I'm really good at sports. It's just that, only teachers are aware of it. When our soccer team won during the regionals, nobody in my class except for D congratulated me. The unspoken rule is: if it's not basketball, it's not important. I hate that rule.

Mr. Leo reminded me that the training will start today since the note has been in the bulletin for a week now. Why did I just notice it now? After I'd been approved to join, I immediately returned to my classroom. Good thing the teacher is not there yet. This is really my day.

"Angel. Are you mad at me?" D worriedly asked me.

"Oh about that? No I'm not. If you don't want to help me I understand. You don't have to include yourself in my craziness after all." Sarcasm is really my language. Good thing Ms. Dee entered the classroom and cut the awkward conversation that D and I are about to have.

After the class, I quickly stepped out of the classroom and hurried to the changing room. I was moving so fast that I accidentally bumped into someone so hard. I looked back and realized that it's not just someone that I bumped into. It's Jessica Daza, Dan's girlfriend. I was so surprised I panicked.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. I'm in a hurry. And I didn't see you. And, and oh my God did I hurt you? I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to do it. I'm in a hurry and..." I'm really nervous am I? After all it's Jessie.

"It's okay, really! I think you're the one who's hurt. You can't speak clearly and you keep on repeating your words. Chill girl." Jessie smiled while the two girls behind her back threw a big laugh at me.

I didn't answer back. I just quietly walk out of their way and go to where I'm supposed to be going. I'm so humiliated I want to cry. This is not my day after all. Why do bad things keep on happening to me? Why?

It's my first time being in a Judo club and I'm really really nervous. There's no one in my section that's in here and Dan is still not here as well. I'm starting to get disappointed until Dan enters the room with his other friends. I blushed, but tried my best hide it.

Before the training started, I was introduced by Sir Leo to everyone in the training room. I was forced to tell something about myself and I shyly started to tell my hobbies and interests. With my nervously soft voice it turned out like I'm just whispering my words, that's why after I finished talking, no one reacted. It was very awkward - I wanted to evaporate. Coach started to introduce me to my judo partner. Sad to say, it was Gio Alvarez of Junior Yellow, not Dan.

Gio is not a bad partner after all, and I'm not a bad partner either. But it's just that Dan is so near me I couldn't concentrate on what I'm doing. When I was about to throw Gio down I put my left foot and turned it on the wrong side. Instead of Gio being thrown down I was the one who fell first and hurt my ankle. Gio instantly fell and was badly hurt too. We both end up in the school clinic, me, having twisted ankles and Gio having a broken arm.

"Gio I'm so sorry. I am really so sorry!" It's my entire fault. I should focus on what I'm doing. I should not lose my focus even if Dan is around.

"No. Don't be. It's not your fault it's mine. You're just new and I instantly gave you a twisted ankle and sent you here." Gio is really nice. He's also good looking and his smile makes the heart of most girls skip a beat, except mine though.

"I'm really thankful that you're my partner Gio"

"Haha! I'm glad to hear that. But it looks like your injury is going to heal faster than mine. That's why while I'm taking my break; I'll have Dan as your new Judo partner."

***